International Securities Law

This is a survey course exploring international securities regulation and enforcement. The first half of the course will focus on American regulation of foreign issuers, foreign securities offerings, foreign securities professionals, and the sale of U.S.-based securities to foreign investors. In weeks seven through 11, we will study cooperation and coordination among and between international securities regulators. In the last two weeks, the students will present their papers. These issues will be explored from both a legal and a policy perspective, drawing upon statutes, regulatory enactments, judicial precedent, proclamations of international securities bodies, and scholarly writing. There are no prerequisites for this course. A prior course in securities regulation or enforcement may be helpful but is not required, as the necessary foundational readings in basic securities law are included in the initial assignments (and students are strongly encouraged to ask questions about any legal principles or business concepts with which they are not familiar). Evaluation Method: Class discussion is an essential element of this course. Participation in these discussions - which necessitate reading the assigned material prior to class - is a major factor in the final grade (25%). The remainder of the grade (75%) will be a one- or three-draft paper, which satisfies the Law School writing requirement. Class Materials: Readings will be made available online. You might find it helpful to consult the following textbook, which is available on Westlaw: J. William Hicks, INTERNATIONAL DIMENSIONS OF U.S. SECURITIES LAW (West 2011 ed.) (¿Hicks¿).

Catalog Number: BUSCOM 663

Course History

Spring 2014
Title: International Securities Law
Faculty: Polish, Jonathan Stephen
Section: 1     Credits: 3.0
Capacity: 25     Actual: 25