Visiting Professor of Law
Professor Larouche brings to Northwestern more than 20 years of clinical and academic experience in Europe. He received his basic legal training in Canada, where he clerked for Justice Gonthier of the Supreme Court. After practising EU competition law in Brussels, he joined academia, obtaining his Ph.D. in law at Maastricht University in 2000. He was appointed Professor of Competition Law at Tilburg University (Netherlands) in 2002. In Tilburg, he founded the Tilburg Law and Economics Center (TILEC), one of the leading European research centres on competition law and economic governance. He also led the creation of the new Global Law Bachelor. Over the years, in addition to Northwestern University, he visited the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Connecticut, National University of Singapore, Sciences Po (Paris) and McGill University. Next to his main appointment, he has also been a Professor at the College of Europe (Bruges) and a Joint Academic Director at the Center on Regulation in Europe (CERRE). In both his research and his teaching, he seeks to adopt a global perspective on law, looking at the core legal knowledge of which national legal systems are applications and bringing an inter-disciplinary perspective to bear on his work.
Areas of Expertise
- Comparative Law
- European Union Law
- Antitrust Law
- Media Law
- Economic Regulation
- Internet Regulation
- Innovation and The Law
- Regulation of network industries
- Interoperability standards, patents and competition policy in The Law, Economics and Politics of International Standardization 367-383 (Cambridge: CUP, 2015) (with G. van Overwalle).
- Regulation for Innovativeness or Regulation of Innovation? in 7 journal of law, innovation and technology 52-82 (2015) (with A. Butenko).
- Continental Drift in the Treatment of Dominant Firms: Article 102 TFEU in Contrast to § 2 Sherman Act in Oxford Handbook of International Antitrust Economics – Vol. 2 153-187 (Oxford: OUP, 2014) (with M. P. Schinkel).
- Legal Emulation Between Regulatory Competition and Comparative Law in National Legal Systems and Globalization – New Role, Continuing Relevance 247-287 (The Hague, TMC Asser Press, 2013).
- The coming of age of EU regulation of network industries and services of general economic interest in The Evolution of EU Law 743-781, 2nd ed (Oxford: OUP, 2011) (with L Hancher).
- BCL/LLB, McGill University, Canada
- M.iur.comp., Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, Germany
- PhD in law, Universiteit Maastricht, Netherlands
- Associate Professor, Maastricht University
- Associate, Stibbe
- Law Clerk, Justice Charles D. Gonthier, Supreme Court of Canada