Steven G. Calabresi
Clayton J. and Henry R. Barber Professor of Law
Professor Steven G. Calabresi is the Clayton J. & Henry R. Barber Professor of Law at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law. He is also a Visiting Professor of Law at Yale Law School, Fall 2013-2016; a Visiting Professor of Political Theory at Brown University for 2016-2017; and the Chairman since 1986 of the Federalist Society's Board of Directors. Professor Calabresi worked in the West Wing of President Ronald Reagan;s White House; was a Special Assistant for Attorney General Edwin Meese III; and he clerked for Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court and for Judges Robert H. Bork and Ralph K. Winter on the federal courts of appeals. Professor Calabresi has written over seventy law review articles and essays. He is a co-author on three books: The Unitary Executive: Presidential Power from Washington to Bush; The Constitution of the United States (3rd edition); and The U.S. Constitution and Comparative Constitutional Law: Texts, Cases and Materials. Professor Calabresi has taught: Constitutional Law I; Comparative Constitutional Law, Federal Jurisdiction, Administrative Law, State Constitutional Law, and the Separation of Powers.
Areas of Expertise
- Federal Courts
- Comparative Law
- Constitutional Law
- Originalism and Loving v. Virginia in 2012 brigham young university law review 1393-1416 (with Andrea Matthews).
- The Constitution and Disdain in 126 harvard law review online forum (November 2012).
- The Rise and Fall of the Separation of Powers in 106 northwestern university law review 527-550 (2012) (with Mark E. Berghausen and Skylar Albertson).
- BA cum laude, Yale University
- JD, Yale University
- Visiting Professor of Political Science, 2010-2016, Brown University
- Class of 1940 Professor of Law, 2011-2013, Northwestern University School of Law
- Professor of Law, Northwestern University School of Law
- Scholar in residence, 2003-2005, Harvard Law School
- Benjamin Mazur Summer Research Professor, 1997-1998, Northwestern University School of Law
- Associate Professor of Law, 1993-1996, Northwestern University School of Law
- Assistant Professor of Law, 1990-1993, Northwestern University School of Law
- Speechwriter to Vice President Dan Quayle, 1990, White House
- Research Associate, 1988-1990, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research
- Law Clerk, 1987-1988, Hon. Antonin Scalia, U.S. Supreme Court
Recent Consulting Activities
- Chairman, Board of Directors of the Federalist Society
- Editor, American Journal of Comparative Law
- Member, Oquosoc Angling Association