CPT for International JD Students

Information about Curricular Practical Training is available on the International Office website.

International JD students who wish to work in the U.S. during the summer after their first or second year of law studies should fill out a CPT Academic Advisor Form (pdf) and bring it to the Office of Student Services with a copy of their Job Offer Letter and their unofficial transcript.

Instructions on filling out the CPT Academic Advisor Form:

If a student is enrolled or intends to enroll in the following courses, they should put the name of the course in the “Option 1” field of the “Academic Necessity” section.


  • Practicum: Civil Government (4 credits)
  • Practicum: Corporate Counsel (4 credits)
  • Practicum: Judicial (4 credits)
  • Practicum: Public Interest Law (4 credits)
  • Practicum: Criminal Law (4 credits)

Once the CPT form is signed by the Director of International Programs, and if the student did not indicate any of the courses above, they will be enrolled in the 1 credit course Law Practice Field Studies (pdf).

Once the CPT Academic Advisor Form has been signed, it is the student's responsibility to submit it to the International Office for further processing.