Comparative Intellectual Property Law -- Research Resources
Prepared for Professor Olufunmilayo Arewa's intellectual property class by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian, Spring 2009.
For questions, contact Heidi Kuehl, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian and Coordinator of Educational Programming and Outreach (e-mail | (312) 503-4725) .
This is a selective list of resources available in print or electronically at Northwestern University School of Law. Some electronic resources are available only to persons who are affiliated with Northwestern University and/or who are accessing the resource from the Northwestern campus or the law school buildings.
- Researching Intellectual Property Law in an International Context, by Stefanie Weigmann (LLRX.com, 2000, last updated 2001).
- Research Guide on TRIPS and Compulsory Licensing: Access to Innovative Pharmaceuticals for Least Developed Countries, by Do Hyung Kim (GlobaLex, 2007).
- Foreign Law Guide : Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World by Thomas H. Reynolds and Arturo A. Flores. A multi-country, multi-subject guide. Under each country, see the following headings: copyright, industrial property, licensing and franchising, and trademarks and trade names. This will provide citations to relevant laws, English translations, and detailed discussion, when available. Introductory material on each country discusses legal system and legal literature.
Electronic Collections of Legislative Texts
- CLEA: Collection of Laws for Electronic Access. From the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), this database provides access to "intellectual property legislation from a wide range of countries and regions as well as to treaties on intellectual property."
- UNESCO Collection of National Copyright Laws. Provides texts of "national copyright and related rights legislation of UNESCO Member States." Texts are official translations, provided by UNESCO member states, in one of the official UNESCO languages.
Other Multi-Country Electronic Resources
Baxter World Patent Law. (LexisNexis : BAXPAL)
Area of Law-By Topic > Patent Law > Search Analysis, Law Reviews & Journals > Matthew Bender ®.
Baxter World Patent Law Index. (LexisNexis : I00055)
Same path as Baxter World Patent Law, above.
- Patents Throughout the World, 4th ed.
(Westlaw : PATWORLD)
International/Worldwide Materials > Multi-National Materials > Patents and Trademarks
- Trademarks Throughout the World, 5th ed. (Westlaw : TMWORLD)
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest.
Multi-country, multi-topic. Within each country, see topic “Intellectual Property.” Each country’s digest usually prepared by a leading law firm in the country and revised annually.
LexisNexis : INTDIG: Legal > Find Laws by Country or Region > Search International Law Digests.
Do segment search by “Cite” [name of country] and “Heading” [intellectual property].
- Economist Intelligence Unit . Database of international business intelligence, including commercial, financial, investment, trade information on, and profiles for, over 200 countries. Discusses intellectual property in the context of the regulatory environment of a country. Select a country; see "Country Commerce" report; select topic "Licensing."
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- The IP Mall--Pierce Law Center. Franklin Pierce Law Center. A "unique collection of Pierce Law hosted intellectual property resources and links to the most valuable IP resources in the world (patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, licensing, technology transfer, etc.)."
- IP Menu From IP Organisers Pty Ltd., an Australian company, this site provides access by country or by property type.
- Lex Mercatoria: Intellectual Property . University of Oslo and Pace University.
- Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property, Competition and Tax Law
- European Patent Office
- European Union: Copyright and Neighbouring Rights
Multi-Country Print Resources
- International Encyclopaedia of Laws: Intellectual Property (Kluwer Law International, 1997-) (looseleaf).
I,MON K 1401 .I5828 1997 vols. 1-5
- Adeney, Elizabeth. The Moral Rights of Authors and Performers: An International and Comparative Analysis (Oxford University Press, 2006). Includes individual chapters on France, Germany, Canada, United States, and Australia, and appendix, "Comparative Table of National Moral Rights."
I,MON K 1430 .A34 2006
- Patent Enforcement Worldwide: A Survey of 15 Countries: Writings in Honour of Dieter Stauder, 2nd ed., edited by Christopher Heath and Laurence Petit (Hart, 2005).
I,MON K 1505 .P374 2005
- Sterling, J.A.L. World Copyright Law: Protection of Authors' Works, Performances, Phonograms, Films, Video, Broadcasts and Published Editions in National, International and Regional Law, 2nd ed. (Sweet & Maxwell, 2003). Includes "Reference List of National Laws and supplementary materials."
I,MON K 1420.5 .S728 2003
Finding Books at Northwestern University
- The preceding section explains how clicking on the "Library of Congress Subject Headings" in a catalog record can help to focus a search. Subject headings can also be searched directly. From the NUcat "Search" tab, search in "Subject Heading" or "Browse Subject Heading" Some Library of Congress Subject Headings are listed below. (The dashes and parentheses can be omitted.)
Design protection (international law)
Intellectual property-- Europe
Intellectual property--European Union countries
Intellectual property--Korea (south)
Intellectual property--law and legislation--
Intellectual property (international law)
Patent laws and legislation--European Union countries
Trademarks--law and legislation-- Germany
Finding Books at Other Libraries
- WorldCat . WorldCat is a catalog with records from thousands of libraries. It can be used to identify materials not held by Northwestern University. Northwestern University students can place interlibrary loan requests either directly through WorldCat or via the interlibrary loan request form found on the library's home page.
See the following pages of the Pritzker Legal Research web site:
General Country Information