Comparative Corporate Governance -- Research Resources
For Prof. Olufunmilayo Arewa’s course on Business Organizations, Spring 2010, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian. For questions about this guide, contact Heidi Kuehl, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian and Coordinator of Educational Programming and Outreach (e-mail | (312) 503-4725) .
This is a selective list. For additional resources see the following pages of the Pritzker Legal Research Center web site:
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest.
Full-text searching is also available.
Detailed summary of laws of many countries. Usually prepared by a leading law firm in the country and revised annually. Within each country, arranged alphabetically by broad topic.
LexisNexis > Find Laws by Country or Region > Search International Law Digests
Then select the appropriate regional law digest, find country, then appropriate heading, e.g., Business Organizations, and click to expand.
Alternatively, select “Martindale Hubble International Law Digest,” and do segment search, e.g., heading (Nigeria) and heading (business associations).
- Digest of Commercial Laws of the World (Oceana, 1966-) (looseleaf) Brazil (2004) in vol. 1; China (2008) in vol. 1; Hong Kong (2006) in vol. 2; Mexico (2008) in vol.3; Nigeria (2008) in vol. 3; United Kingdom not included, but see England and Wales (2007) in vol. 2. Note that British Virgin Islands, Germany, Japan, and Mauritius are not included.
I,MON K 1005.4 .D54 1966
- Doing Business project The World Bank Group. The project "provides objective measures of business regulations and their enforcement across 183 economies …." For texts of laws click on "Business Laws," then under "Choose Economies," click on "Selected Economies," then choose a country, then under “Choose Law Type” click on “Company and Commercial Laws.” Note that no British Virgin Islands laws are included. Translations are unofficial. Also explore the site for reports, country profiles, etc.
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)
- Database of international business intelligence, including commercial, financial, investment, trade information on, and profiles for, over 200 countries. Under each country see especially: Country Commerce > Organising an Investment.
Legal Research Guides
For additional resources see the following page of the Pritzker Legal Research Center web site: Foreign and Comparative Law by Country or Region
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World , by Thomas H. Reynolds and Arturo A. Flores ("Reynolds and Flores"). The single most important bibliographic resource for foreign law research. Includes introductory materials (in-depth discussion of the legal history and legal publication), major publications, and citations to official sources for laws on specific subjects. It also cites to unofficial sources for detailed discussion and/or English language translations.
Under each country, see headings "Business Associations," "Company Law," and "Corporations."
General Country Information
Finding Books at Northwestern University
- NUcat Searching Tips: Using NUcat to search for books on a topic.
- The preceding section explains how clicking on the "Library of Congress Subject Headings" in a catalog record can help to focus a search. Subject headings can also be searched directly. From the NUcat "Search" tab, search in "Subject Heading" or "Browse Subject Heading" Some Library of Congress Subject Headings are listed below. (The dashes and parentheses can be omitted.)
consolidation and merger of corporations
corporate governance -- law and legislation
corporation law -- Great Britain
corporations -- law and legislation
stockholders -- legal status, laws, etc.
Finding Books at Other Libraries
- WorldCat . WorldCat is a catalog with records from thousands of libraries. It can be used to identify materials not held by Northwestern University. Northwestern University students can place interlibrary loan requests either directly through WorldCat or via the interlibrary loan request form found on the library's home page.
Finding Articles and Papers
Journal articles are published in a wide range of subject areas relating to country research, such as history, politics, economics, sociology, gender studies, and religion. In order to identify relevant articles it is best to search the various specialized indexes to which Northwestern University subscribes. The following pages of the library's web site list many such indexes. Once a relevant article is identified, it may be possible to access an electronic version of the text by clicking on the "Find It At NU" buttion," or by doing a journal title search in NUcat for the name of the journal (not the title of the article). When searching an index, an "advanced" search is often easier to use than the basic search. When you find a relevant article, clicking on the "descriptors" or "subject headings" for that record may lead you to other relevant citations.
The following indexes are especially recommended for researching comparative corporate governance issues:
- Legal Journals Index
(Westlaw: LJI). An index of articles in English from legal journals published in the United Kingdom and Europe as well as journals covering topics pertaining to the laws of the European Community and its member states.
"institutional investors" and "united kingdom" uk
stakeholder /s germany
"voting rights" /p germany
stakeholder /s japan
- "Citations, abstracts, and selected full-text of articles from 1800+ business and management journals."
corporate governance and brazil
boards of directors and japan
stakeholders and Nigeria
- Business Source Premier
"[P]rovides nearly 3,300 full text scholarly publications, including more than 1,000 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to the full text, this database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 4,100 journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more."
corporate governance and japan
- Social Science Research Network - A service providing scholarly research papers, working papers, and journals in numerous social science disciplines, including law, economics, and financial economics.
executive compensation japan
corporate governance nigeria
corporate governance mexico
institutional investors germany
shareholders protection united kingdom
Corporate Governance Links
- Lexis .
- News & Business
- Country & Region (excluding U.S.)
- Business & News
- Global News
Selected Resources for Individual Countries:
International Encyclopaedia of Laws. Corporations and Partnerships. Editor, Koen Geens. Kluwer Law and Taxation, 1991- (looseleaf). Brazil chapter (2008) in volume 1.
I,MON K 1301 .C67 1991
British Virgin Islands
- International Encyclopaedia of Laws. Corporations and Partnerships. Kluwer Law and Taxation, 1991- (looseleaf). China chapter (2009) in volume 1.
I,MON K 1301 .C67 1991
- International Encyclopaedia of Laws.Commercial and Economic Law. Kluwer Law and Taxation, 1993- (looseleaf). China chapter (2009) in volume 1. See Ch.2 “Commerical Subjects” and Ch. 5 “General Obligations of Business Operators.”
I,MON K 1005 .I58 1993
- China Laws for Foreign Business. Business Regulation (looseleaf) Texts of laws [Chinese and English].
N,HCP KNQ 114 1993 vols. 1-6
- LexisNexis China Law Database (LNCHNL) is “an authoritative collection of Chinese laws, regulations, tax information, judicial decisions, and other legal documents, collected from government sources, and translated by LexisNexis China Online (COL) in Beijing. Consisting initially of approximately 3000 English-translated documents, this database will grow substantially as more and older documents are translated.”
LexisNexis > Legal >Area of Law-by Topic > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > China & Hong Kong > Legislation & Regulations > LexisNexis China Law Database
- Codes and Rules: China Asian Corporate Governance Association (ASGA). Selected texts in English.
- China Law & Practice
- Lexis Nexis >Legal > Area of Law-By Topic > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > China & Hong Kong > Journals > China Law & Practice
- China Law and Practice Published by Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC; Includes texts of new legislation. Available from ABI Inform (ProQuest). July 2002-
- Westlaw China Database of Chinese law.
Business Transactions in Germany. Available in LexisNexis (BTGERM).
- Area of Law - By Topic
- International Law
- Find Laws by Country or Region
- Business Transactions in Germany
Comparative Corporate Governance: Shareholders as a Rule-Maker, by Petri Mäntysaari. Springer, 2005. Chapter on Germany. Also available online.
Doing Business in Europe (Sweet & Maxwell, 2001-) (looseleaf)
"Germany" chapter(2008) in volume 1.
- Halsbury’s Laws of Hong Kong. Available on LexisNexis.
- LexisNexis > Legal > Area of Law-by Topic > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > China & Hong Kong > Commentaries & Treatises > Halsbury’s Laws of Hong Kong Table of Contents. (See section 95 Companies and Corporations)
- LexisNexis > Legal >Area of Law-by Topic > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > China & Hong Kong > Commentaries & Treatises > Halsbury’s Laws of Hong Kong.
- Codes and Rules: Hong Kong Asian Corporate Governance Association(ASGA). Selected texts in English.
Japanese Business Law, ed. by Gerald Paul McAlinn. Kluwer Law International, 2007. Chapters “Corporations” and “Corporate Governance and M&A.”
Doing Business in Japan. General Editor, Zentaro Kitagawa. Matthew Bender,
Available on Lexis (DJAPN). Legal > Area of Law-By Topic > International Law > Find Laws by Country or Region > Japan > Doing Business in Japan.
International Encyclopaedia of Laws. Corporations and Partnerships. Editor, Koen Geens. Kluwer Law and Taxation, 1991- (looseleaf). Japan chapter (2001) in volume 3.
- AGCA Statement on Corporate Governance Reform in Japan (December 15, 2009) Asian Corporate Governance Association (ASGA).
- Codes and Rules: Japan Asian Corporate Governance Association (ASGA). Selected texts in English.
Business Law in Nigeria, by Aminu Kado Kurfi. Benchmark Publishers Ltd., 2005.
- Elewechi N. M. Okike, “Corporate Governance in Nigeria: the status quo,” Corporate Governance: An International Review, vol. 15 no. 2, March 2007, pages 173-193.
- Investor’s Guide to Nigeria Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC).
Doing Business in Europe (Sweet & Maxwell, 2001-) (looseleaf)
"United Kingdom" chapter (2005) in volume 2.
Mayson, French & Ryan on Company Law, by Derek French, Stephen W. Mayson, and Christopher L. Ryan. 24th ed., 2007-2008. Oxford University Press, 2007.
Palmer’s Company Law. Sweet and Maxwell. A multi-volume treatise.
Available on Westlaw
- All Databases
- International/Worldwide Materials
- Europe and the United Kingdom
- Individual Country Materials
- United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland)
- By Practice Area
- Corporate Business
- Westlaw UK Corporate Business Commentary Subscription
Doing Business in the United Kingdom.
A treatise published by Matthew Bender, available on LexisNexis
- Area of Law - By Topic
- Foreign Laws & Legal Sources
- United Kingdom
- Commentaries and Treatises
- Doing Business in the United Kingdom
Comparative Corporate Governance: Shareholders as a Rule-Maker, by Petri Mäntysaari. Springer, 2005. Chapter on United Kingdom. Also available online.
Organization of Corporate Entities Offshore
“Preface: Why use offshore companies?” in Bickely, Christopher, Bermuda, BritishVirgin Islands and Cayman Islands Company Law (2nd ed., 2007).
N,NAA KGJ 328 .B53 2007