Find Legal Articles
The following is a list of indexes and full-text databases that are the most commonly used for finding articles on topics in United States law, federal and state.
See the following pages for additional indexes and/or databases on Non-Law topics, Foreign or Comparative Law, and International Law.
- LegalTracÂ - Citations with abstracts, and some full-text articles, from more than 800 legal publications. Focus is on journals published in U.S. law schools, but also covered are major journals from other English-speaking countries. Also covers law-related articles from more than 1,000 additional business and general interest periodicals. Available as Legal Resource Index in LexisNexis (LGLIND) and Westlaw (LRI) Available in print as Current Law Index (R,REF K 33 .C87).
- Index to Legal Periodicals & BooksÂ - Indexes articles from over 800 legal journals (beginning in 1981), and from major law books published since 1993. "Legal Periodicals Retro" component allows for searching for articles dating back to 1908, and can be searched by itself or simultaneously with the Index to Legal Periodicals & Books covering 1981 to present. Focus is on publications from the United States. Does not contain any articles in full text. Current file also available on Westlaw (ILP). Also available in print (R, REF K 33 .I5342).
- Current Index to Legal Periodicals (CILP)Â - A weekly current awareness service, arranged by broad subject categories. Includes links to full text of articles in Lexis and Westlaw. Also available in Westlaw (CILP).
- Index to Foreign Legal PeriodicalsÂ - An index of selected legal periodicals, most of which are published outside of the United States. Coverage includes journals, essay collections, festschrifts, and congress reports beginning with 1985. Indexes individual contributions to festschrifts and other collections. Subjects include international law, comparative law, and foreign (non-Anglo-American) law. However, some articles on U.S. law are included. The print edition covers 1960 to date (I,REF K 33 .I529).
- LexisNexisÂ Various full-text databases of articles from legal journals, including: US Law Reviews and Journals, Combined (ALLUS ) ( U.S. law reviews and bar journals) / UK Law Journals (ALLJNL ) / Canadian Law Journals, Combined (CANJNL ) / Combined Canadian Law Reviews (ALLCAN ).
- WestlawÂ - Various full-text databases, such as Journals and Law Reviews (JLR), which covers law reviews and CLE materials from U.S. based publications. Also includes the following indexes:Legal Resource Index (LRI); Index to Canadian Legal Literature (ICLL); Legal Journals Index (LJI); Index to Legal Periodicals (ILP).
- HeinOnlineÂ - Searchable, digitized, PDF full-text backfile of more than 1,200 law and law-related periodicals. The most current volume of a journal is not usually included.
- JSTORÂ - Searchable, digitized, PDF full-text backfile of core scholarly journals in the humanities, social sciences, and the sciences. A number of major law journals are included. Since JSTOR is intended to be an archive, it does not include the current issues of journals nor the most recent four or five years.
- Law and Law-Related Journals on the Web - Over 575 law and law-related journals which provide a significant
portion of their content electronically. Most useful when you already
have a citation in hand, and need to find the journal electronically.