International Team Project: Cambodia Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for students participating in International Team Project: Cambodia at Northwestern Law in the Spring 2007 semester.
Also use the Conduct Research portion of the law library web site. In particular, see the Foreign and Comparative and International sections.
Note: the law library does not collect materials in the Khmer (Cambodian) language (unless included in a bilingual work). Materials in this checklist are primarily in English, unless otherwise noted.
For questions about this guide, contact Heidi Kuehl, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian and Coordinator of Educational Programming and Outreach (e-mail | (312) 503-4725)
Key to call number locations:
- I,REF = international reference area, 3rd floor of Rubloff
- R,REF = reference room, 2nd floor of Rubloff
- REF = shelving area under grand staircase, 2nd floor of Rubloff
- D,USG = government documents shelving area, 3rd floor of Rubloff
- I,MON = international and comparative law books, 3rd floor of Rubloff
- I,PER = international periodicals, 2nd floor Rubloff
- Asia Cam = the old call number for Cambodia, located on the basement level of the Coon Library (limited materials). Closed stacks, request materials online or at circulation desk.
- N,HCA = the new location symbol for Cambodia, located on the third floor of the Rubloff building.
General Country Information
- Europa World Year Book I,REF JN 1 .E84
Information on Cambodia also available on the online version.
- Political Handbook of the World I,REF JF 37 .P63
Also available online
- Statesman's Yearbook
I, REF JA 51 .S7
- World Factbook I,REF G 122 .U56a
Also available online (see Cambodia).
- Encyclopedia Britannica R,REF AE 5 .E363 2002
Information on Cambodia also available through Encyclopedia Britannica Online . For main article on Cambodia, scroll down.
- The U.S. Dept. of State provides background notes on Cambodia.
- Cambodia: A Country Study. Federal Research Division, Library of Congress; edited by Russel R. Ross. Research completed December 1987.
Business and Economic Conditions
Asian Studies web sites and Databases
- Asia-Studies Full-Text Online. Full-text reports on business, government, economic, and social issues in the area of modern Asia-Pacific studies, from regional research institutions.
Governmental web sites of the Kingdom of Cambodia
Additional web sites for Cambodia
Legal System and Laws
Introductions, links to texts of laws:
Books in the law library on the legal system and law reform:
Finding Books on Cambodia
- Szladits' Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law: Books and Articles in EnglishThrough the supplement for 1989-90 it provided references to books, journal articles, and essays published in collections, in English. It included a section citing to the texts of laws (including constitutions) in translation, published in both books and articles. This index now covers only books, not periodical articles. Statutes are now usually excluded.
I,REF K 38 .S94 1955 and supplements
I,REF K 38 .S94 1990
I,REF K 38 .S94 1995/1996
I,REF K 38 .S94 1997/1998
- To find books at Northwestern University: NUcat, the catalog of Northwestern University libraries, provides various ways to find books on a topic. These include searching by keyword (for which there are several methods) and searching by subject (using Library of Congress subject headings).
(Note: NUcat can be used to find out whether the library owns a particular periodical, but it is not used for finding articles within periodicals; for this, you use a periodical index, described in the following section.)"Guided Search" tab: It is sometimes easiest to start with a "guided" search, using words or phrases that are likely to appear in the record for a relevant book. From the NUcat screen, click on the "Guided Search" tab. Guided searches allow you to search for words or phrases in specific parts of the bibliographic record (e.g., author, title, subject) or as keywords; to use connectors (e.g., and, or); and to limit your search (e.g., by location, date, language). The search screen is set up in such a way as to guide you through the search formulation process and minimize the amount of typing. Searching in "keyword anywhere" is usually the best. For example, to search on human rights in Cambodia, you might try:
Search for: cambodia, select "all of these," search in "keyword anywhere"
"Search" tab: Keyword searching is also available under the "Search" tab by clicking on "keyword search" or "keyword phrase search." You must formulate and type in the search, both terms and connector, yourself. An example of a "Keyword" searches is:
Search for: human rights, "select "as a phrase," search in "keyword anywhere"
cambodia and (law? or legal)
Once you have found a relevant book, you can look at the record in "long view" to find the Library of Congress subject headings for the book. You can then do a subject search by clicking on the link. This will sometimes retrieve additional relevant books that were not found by the keyword search. You may also do a subject heading search from the "Search" tab by choosing "Subject Heading." An example of a Library of Congress subject heading is:
genocide - cambodia
Note: Materials on the law of a particular country on a particular subject might be found either in books devoted to the jurisdiction or in materials devoted to the subject. An example of a work classified (i.e., shelved) by jurisdiction is:
Genocide in Cambodia : documents from the trial of Pol Pot and Ieng Sary N,HCA KNM 41 .P64P65 2000
Examples of books and looseleaf services, etc., on a specific subject, which include discussion of more than one jurisdiction:
Constitutions of the Countries of the World I,MON K 3157 .A2B58 1971-Copyright Laws and Treaties of the World I,MON K 1419.2 1956-Digest of Commercial Laws of the World I,MON K 1005.4 .D54 1996-International Encyclopaedia for Labour Law and Industrial Relations I,MON K1705.4 .I58
- To find books at other libraries:WorldCat This international database contains records from thousands of libraries. I-Share This database contains records for many Illinois libraries.
The library catalogs of many other institutions may be accessed via our law library catalogs and homepages page.
The following are indexes that can be searched to identify articles, etc., on a subject. In some instances, in addition to a bibliographic citation, a direct link to full text of the article will be provided. Often a "Find it at NU" button will lead to a full text electronic source. If no full text is identified, search NUcat by the title of the journal to see if the journal in which the article appears is owned in print format by Northwestern. If it is in the Northwestern University Library (or not held by Northwestern at all) you can submit an interlibrary loan request for the article. Note: before beginning to search any index, consult its "help" feature to be sure you are constructing an effective search.
- LegalTrac Current Law Index R,REF K 33 .C87LexisNexis : Legal Resource Index (LAWREV;LGLIND)Westlaw: Legal Resource Index (LRI) The most comprehensive periodical index for U.S. legal research, this index, which began in 1980, can also be used to find articles on international and comparative law topics. It covers more than 850 journals from the United States, Canada, Great Britain, New Zealand, and Australia.
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books (ILP) R,REF K 33 .I5342
A bibliographic database that cites articles from legal periodicals and indexes law books. Indexes periodicals from United States, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. Also indexes university publications, yearbooks, institutes, and government publications. Subjects covered include international law. Dates covered: 1981 to present; ILP Retro (searchable alone or in combination with ILP) covers periodical articles 1918-1981.
- Current Index to Legal Periodicals (most recent five issues) Current Index to Legal Periodicals R,REF K33 .C865Westlaw : CILP database (most recent eight issues)
A current awareness service, published weekly by the University of Washington law library. More up-to-date than LegalTrac.
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals I,REF K 33 .I529
This index, which began in 1960, covers more than 550 selected legal periodicals, most of which are published outside of the United States, as well as collections of essays, dealing with international law (both public and private), comparative law, and the domestic law of countries worldwide. It does not attempt to cover the legal systems of the United States, the British Isles, and the British Commonwealth. The web version covers 1985 onward.
Resources covering more than one topic in the social sciences and humanities
- Bibliography of Asian Studies From the Association for Asian Studies at the University of Michigan. Western language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia published since 1971, on all subjects, especially in the humanities and social sciences.
Browse by Subject/Country, select Cambodia, then choose subject.
(Note: "law" is a subheading under "politics and government")
- PAIS International (1972 - present) and PAIS International Archive (1937-1976) PAIS International in Print REF Z 7163 .P9223
Published by Public Affairs Information Service. Indexes and abstracts public and social policy literature published in over 120 countries. Includes such areas as economics, finance, law, education, the military, political science, public administration, international law and relations, the environment, and demography. The materials indexed include journal articles, books, reports of governmental, private, and intergovernmental organizations, statistical directories, research reports, conference reports, selected microfiche, and selected Internet resources originally published in English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese.
- CIAO: Columbia International Affairs Online Citations, abstracts, and selected full-text articles covering topics in international affairs, collected largely from university- and foundation-funded research institutes, non-governmental organizations, and academic conferences. Includes working papers, conference proceedings, journal and book abstracts, and links to related resources.
- OxResearch Short articles by Oxford Analytica in the areas of business and management, economics, and political science.
- EXAC (Expanded Academic ASAP) An online index to articles in more than 1,000 periodicals covering the social sciences, the humanities, the sciences, and current affairs.
- Web of Science Contains three individual databases, which may be searched separately or simultaneously: Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts and Humanities Citation Index. Social Sciences Citation Index covers anthropology, history, industrial relations, law, linguistics, psychology, psychiatry, political science, public health, social issues, sociology, substance abuse, urban studies, women's studies.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences Citations from an international selection of publications, including over 2600 journals, in all areas of the social sciences with emphasis on economics, political science, sociology and anthropology. Information for this database is compiled by the British Library of Political and Economic Science and the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- FirstSearch Includes a number of databases that index articles, papers, and proceedings in a variety of subject areas. A few of the individual databases are listed below:
- ArticleFirst Index of articles from 12,500 journals in business, the humanities, social sciences, popular culture, science, technology, and medicine, from 1990 onwards. Some entries have abstracts; some have full-text.
- ProceedingsFirst Index of conference proceedings.
- Project Muse - Online database of more than 200 journals from nonprofit publishers. Many links to full-text articles.
- Social Science Research Network A service providing scholarly research papers, working papers, and journals in numerous social science disciplines, including law, economics, and financial economics.
Dissertations Abstracts database. "Citations and abstracts for doctoral dissertations, and some master's theses, from accredited North American colleges and universities and some international universities." Available from the following:
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses: Full Text Entries for more than 2 million doctoral dissertations and master's theses. Dissertations published from 1980 forward include 350-word abstracts written by the author. Master's theses published from 1988 forward include 150-word abstracts. More than 600,000 dissertations and theses are available in native or image PDF formats for immediate free download.
- Dissertations Abstracts OnlineWestlaw (DAO)
- Current Research @ Northwestern University
(see also "General Country Information
," above, and web sites of International Organizations
News: General, Legal, and Business
Note that both Lexis and Westlaw allow you to create and save a search, to be run on a periodic basis, such as daily or weekly.
For links to tutorials, see the Research Alerts page of the library's web site. Always check scope notes (click on information icon) for dates of coverage. Not all publications are current.
Many organizations make it possible to monitor news by means of an RSS/XML ("Really Simple Syndication") feed. For information of setting up RSS feeds, see the Research Alerts: RSS Feeds section of the library's web site.
International Business Resources
- See our web site's International Trade, Business, and Economic Law page.
- ABI/INFORM Business and management index. Citations and abstracts of articles from more than 1,300 journals, including over 350 English-language international sources. Full-text articles from over 600 selected sources.Westlaw : ABI-INFORM (ABI/Inform (R) (DIALOG)) and ABI-INFORM Current (ABI/Inform (R) - Current (DIALOG))
- Business Source Premier "[P]rovides nearly 3,300 full-text scholarly publications, including more than 1,000 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to the full text, this database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 4,100 journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more."
- GlobalEDGE (TM) Resource Desk. Michigan State University.
Regional and International Organizations
Note: Cambodia is not necessarily a member of all the organizations listed below. However, these web sites can often be good sources of information about Cambodia.
Additional Resources for Special Topics
- Art and Culture
- Web of Science Select "Arts and Humanities Citation Index"
- Humanities Abstracts "Bibliographic citations from more than 450 periodicals in topics such as archaeology, art, classics, film, folklore, journalism, linguistics, music, the performing arts, philosophy, religion, world history, and world literature. Records added since 1994 have abstracts, and many citations have links to the full-text of the article."
- Children/Juvenile Justice
- Criminal Justice
- Economic Development
- ERIC Annotated references to journal articles and reports in education.
- Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources
- ECOLEX. A global database on environmental law. Search for treaties, national legislation, count decisions, and literature.
- FAOLEX. From the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, a database of national laws and regulations on food, agriculture, and renewable natural resources.
- Pollution Abstracts Citations and abstracts on pollution and environmental issues.
- Agricola Bibliographic records of journal articles, patents, software, and technical reports related to agriculture.
- Government and politics
- International Political Science Abstracts . Citations and abstracts to English and non-English language periodicals throughout the world. Covers political science, public law, international law, and international relations.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts . Citations with abstract from more than 1100 journals in political science and related disciplines. Coverage is international in scope.
- Human Rights
- Women's Issues