International Team Project United Arab Emiratesâ€”Dubai: Research Checklist
Prepared for International Team Project UAE -- Dubai at Northwestern University School of Law, Spring 2011 Semester, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
Materials in this checklist are primarily in English, unless otherwise noted.
For questions about this guide, contact Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451) .
General Country Information
Middle Eastern Studies Web Sites
Governmental Web Sites
Laws and Legal System
Introductions/Research Guides/Links to Selected Laws:
- â€œUnited Arab Emirates,â€� in Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, volume 4, pages 1688-1694 I,REF K 48 .L44 2002 vol. 4
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the WorldÂ by Reynolds and Flores. For each country, includes background on the legal system and legal publication, as well as citations to laws on particular topics and to English language translations .
- A Guide to the United Arab Emirates Legal System By Ahmed Aly Khedr and Bassam Alnuaimi (GlobaLex).
- â€œThe Legal System in the United Arab Emirates,â€� in Practical Guide to Litigation andArbitration in the United Arab Emirates, by Essam Al Tamimi (Kluwer, 2003), pp.1-8 and â€œThe Courts,â€� pp. 9-18.Â N,GUI KMV 1829 .A95 2003Â Also available electronically
- â€œBrief Introduction to the Economic and Legal Context,â€� in Intellectual Property Law andPractice of the United Arab Emirates, by Peter W. Hansen (Oxford, 2009). N,GUI KMV1155 .H36 2009
- Guide to Law Online: United Arab Emirates Law Library of Congress
- World Legal Information Institute (WORLDLII) â€“ United Arab Emirates
- DIFC Laws and Regulations Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC). Links to federal laws, Dubai Laws, and DIFC laws and regulations.Â
- Al-Tamimi & Company Under â€œPublicationsâ€� see â€œLaw Update,â€� â€œLegal Articles, and â€œLegal Brochures.â€�
- United Arab Emirates Court of Cassation Judgments, 1998-2003, by Richard Price and Essam Al Tamimi (Brill, 2001)Â
N,GUI KMV 18 .A4 2005
- United Arab Emirates Court of Cassation Judgments,1989-1997, by Richard Price and Essam AlÂ Tamimi (Kluwer, 1998)
N,GUI KMV 18 .A4 1998
Hints: Many subject areas are relevant - not just law. | Use indexes to identify relevant articles. | " Advanced search" often easier than "basic search." | Find relevant citation, then click on " subject headings" or " descriptors" to find more. | " Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text. | NUcat " journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text.
News: General, Legal, and Business
- Note that both Lexis and Westlaw allow you to create and save a search, to be run on a periodic basis, such as daily or weekly. For links to tutorials, see the Research Alerts page of the library's web site. Many organizations make it possible to monitor news by means of an RSS/XML ("Really Simple Syndication") feed. For information of setting up RSS feeds, see the Research Alerts: RSS Feeds section of the library's web site.
Regional and International Organizations
Note: UAE is not necessarily a member of all the organizations listed below. However, these web sites provide information about the UAE.
Additional Resources for Special Topics
Business and Economic Development
- ERICÂ Citations to articles and reports on education.
Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources
- ECOLEX. World Conservation Union (IUCN). A database of imformation on environmental law.
- FAOLEX. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. A legislative database on food, agriculture, and renewable natural resources.
- NATLEX. International Labour Organization (ILO). A database containing references to national laws on labour, social security, and related human rights, and some laws in full-text.
Politics and Government
- International Political Science AbstractsÂ . Citations and abstracts to English and non-English language periodicals throughout the world. Covers political science, public law, international law, and international relations.
- Worldwide Political Science AbstractsÂ . Citations with abstract from more than 1100 journals in political science and related disciplines. Coverage is international in scope.