International Team Project: Argentina and Uruguay - Research Checklist
Prepared for International Team Project: Argentina and Uruguay at Northwestern University School of Law, Spring 2012, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian, and updated by Heidi Kuehl, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian and Coordinator of Educational Programming and Outreach.
Note: The law library does not collect materials on Latin American countries in vernacular languages. Materials in this checklist are primarily in English, unless otherwise noted.
General Country Information
Governmental web sites
Other Web Sites
Laws and Legal System
Introductions, research guides, and digest
- “Argentina” chapter in Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia (2002), vol. 1 pages 64-70, or “Úruguay” chapter, vol. 4 pages 1715-1721 I,REF K 48 .L44 2002
- A Research Guide to the Argentine Legal System By Dr. Gisela Monge Roffarello, Emilse Monge Roffarello, Dr. Ezequiel Trajtenberg and Prof. Eng. Julio O. Trajtenberg (GlobaLex, 2011).
- A Guide to Uruguay’s Legal System and Research By Pablo Sandonato de Leon, updated by Gloria Orrego Hoyos (GlobaLex, 2010).
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World by Thomas Reynolds and Arturo A. Flores. For each country, background on the legal system and legal publication, citations to laws on particular topics and to English language translations.
- Argentina Law Digest, in Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest. Detailed summary of various areas of law, especially useful for company, corporate, and tax law. LexisNexis Legal > Find Laws by Country or Region > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > Argentina > Martindale-Hubbell® Law Digest – South American Law Digests. Also Uruguay.
Portals to legal resources (interface in English; resources mostly in Spanish)
- The Constitutions of the Argentine Nation. Constitutions of the Countries of the World , vol. 3 (loose-leaf) I,MON K 3157 .A2B58 1971- Also available electronically (Search for " Argentina" or “Uruguay” in "Location" box.) 1994 Argentine Constitution in English and 1996 Amendments to Uruguay Constitution in English. Also “Introductory Note: Constitutional History and Political Background” for Argentina.
- International Encyclopaedia of Laws: Constitutional Law Under “National Monographs” see Argentina and Uruguay.
- Argentine Constitutions Political Database of the Americas, Georgetown University. The 1853 Constitution with the 1860, 1866, 1898 and 1957 reforms, in Spanish, and the 1994 Constitution, in English and Spanish. Uruguay Constitution is also available in Spanish.
- Constitution of the Argentine Nation Senado web site. In English.
- Argentina Constitution International Constitutional Law (ICL), University of Bern, Switzerland. As amended through 1994. In English.
- Constitutiones Provinciales and Constituciones del Mundo InfoLEG: Información Legislativa (governmental web site). Includes debates of the Constitutional Convention of 1994. In Spanish. Also includes the text of the Uruguay Constitution (In Spanish).
- Uruguay’s Constitución de la RepÚblica (World Constitutions Illustrated, HeinOnline)
- Consolidated Constitution of Uruguay, translated by Jefri J. Ruchti (2010)
Courts and Jurisprudence
Treaties and Agreements - Selected Sources
- Hints: Many subject areas are relevant-- not just law. | Use indexes to identify relevant articles. " Advanced search " often easier than "basic search." | Find relevant citation, then click on "subject headings " or " descriptors " to find more. | " Find it at NU " button often leads to electronic full text. | NUcat " journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text.
- Finding Articles and Papers on Foreign and Comparative Law (for articles on law of countries other than the U.S. and comparative law methodology, from journals published both in the U.S. and abroad)
- Finding Articles and Papers on International Law (for public and private international law)
- Find Non-Law Articles (for subjects in the social sciences, humanities, and sciences)
News: General, Legal, and Business
Note that both Lexis and Westlaw allow you to create and save a search, to be run on a periodic basis, such as daily or weekly. For links to tutorials, see the Research Alerts page of the library's web site. Always check scope notes (click on information icon) for dates of coverage. Not all publications are current.
Many organizations make it possible to monitor news by means of an RSS/XML ("Really Simple Syndication") feed. For information of setting up RSS feeds, see the Research Alerts: RSS Feeds section of the library's web site.
- LexisNexis : (News & Business Tab > Country & Region (excluding U.S.) > Argentina > News
Note: La Nación coverage has some gaps..
- Westlaw :
- News Room with Reuters tab > [Global News] Latin America News with Reuters RLATNEWS
- International/Worldwide Materials > South America > Individual Country Materials > Argentina > Business & News
- News > International News > Latin America
Additional Resources for Selected Topics
Administration of Justice
- Oficina Anticorrupción In Spanish.
- Asociación de Abogados de Buenos Aires (In Spanish)
- Chavez, Rebecca Bill, The Rule of Law in Nascent Democracies: Judicial Politics in Argentina, Stanford, CA: Stanford Univ. Press, 2004. I, MON K 3171.C49 2004.
- Prillaman, William C., The Judiciary and Democratic Decay in Latin America: Declining Confidence in the Rule of Law, Westport, Conn.: Praeger, 2000. N, LAA KG 495.P75 2000.
Business and Financial Information
- ERIC Citations to articles and reports on education.
Church and State
Women's and Children's Issues