International Team Project: Bhutan and Thailand Research Checklist
Prepared for International Team Project Bhutan and Thailand at Northwestern University School of Law, Spring 2012, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
For questions about this guide, contact Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451) .
Materials in this checklist are primarily in English, unless otherwise noted.
General Country Information
Government Web Sites: Bhutan
Government Web Sites: Thailand
Non-Governmental Web Sites
Laws and Legal System: Bhutan
- Research Guide to the Legal System of the Kingdom of Bhutan. By Ershadul Karim and Chhime Tshoke Dorjee (GlobaLex, 2011).
- Introduction to the Bhutanese Legal System. Royal Court of Justice, Bhutan.
- "Bhutan" in Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, vol. 1, pages 162 -168
I,REF K 48 .L44 2002
- "The Legal System of Bhutan" in Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia , vol.9, pages 9.40 to 9.40.21. Note: this article dates from the early 1980s and should be used for historical purposes only.
I,REF K 48 .M62 1988S
- â€œBhutanâ€� in International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law, vol. 1 (National Reports) chapter 3, pages B-27 to B-29. Note: this article was completed in May 1972 and should be used for historical proposes only.
I,REF K 48 .I58 1973 vol. 1 ch.3
Links to legislation
Laws and Legal System: Thailand
- Introduction to the Legal System and Legal Research of the Kingdom of Thailand. By Joe Leeds (GlobaLex, 2011).
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the WorldÂ , by Thomas H. Reynolds and Arturo A. Flores ("Reynolds and Flores"). Includes introductory materials (in-depth discussion of the legal history and legal publication), major publications, and citations to official sources for laws on specific subjects. It also cites to unofficial sources for detailed discussion and/or English language translations.
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, ed. by Herbert M. Kritzer (ABC-CLIO, 2002). Short articles on each country (or non-jurisdictional legal system) place the legal system in context.
Thailand: vol. 4, pages 1614-1620.
- Thai Law for Foreigners, by Benjawan Poomsan Becker and Roengsak Thongkaew (2008).
- "The Legal System of Thailand" by Marut Bunnag and Preben A.F. Aakesson, in Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia, vol. 9A.
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest. The "digest" consists of detailed summaries of the law on selected substantive and procedural topics, arranged alphabetically. May cite to primary law.
LexisNexisÂ Legal > Find Laws by Country or Region > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > International Law Digests > Martindale-HubbellÂ® Law Digest-Asian Law Digests > Thailand Law Digest
- Guide to Law Online (Law Library of Congress)
- Asian LII-Thailand. Asian Legal Information Institute. Includes 2007 Constitution, as well as 2006 and 1997 constitutions.
- Thailand Law Forum
- Asia Law Online. Asian Law Centre, Melbourne Law School. A bilbiographic database.
- The Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand (Interim Edition) 2006 (unofficial English translation) is available in Oxford Constitutions of the WorldÂ as is the constitution of 1987. Also available in print.
- The Civil and Commercial Code, books I - VI and glossary. Thai and English.
- The Constitutional System of Thailand: A Contextual Analysis, by Andrew Harding and Peter Leyland (2011).
Finding Books on Bhutan and Thailand
Finding Books at Northwestern University
Finding Articles and Papers on Foreign and Comparative Law (for articles on law of countries other than the U.S. and comparative law methodology, from journals published both in the U.S. and abroad) Find Non-Law Articles (for subjects in the social sciences, humanities, and sciences) Bibliography of Asian StudiesÂ . From the Association for Asian Studies at the University of Michigan. Western language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia published since 1971, on all subjects, especially in the humanities and social sciences.
- Many subject areas are relevant-- not just law.
- Use indexes to identify relevant articles.
- "Advanced search" is often easier than "basic search."
- Find a relevant citation, then click on "subject headings" or "descriptors" to find more.
- "Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text.
- NUcat "journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text
News: General, Legal, and Business
Note that both Lexis and Westlaw allow you to create and save a search, to be run on a periodic basis, such as daily or weekly. For links to tutorials, see the Research Alerts page of the library's web site. Always check scope notes (click on information icon) for dates of coverage. Not all publications are current.
Many organizations make it possible to monitor news by means of an RSS/XML ("Really Simple Syndication") feed. For information of setting up RSS feeds, see the Research Alerts: RSS Feeds section of the library's web site.
- LexisÂ . News & Business tab > Country & Region (excluding U.S.) > Asia Pacific > News
Bhutan ObserverBhutan TimesBhutan TodayKuensel Online â€œBhutanâ€™s daily news site.â€� BBS: Bhutan's National Public Service BroadcasterBhutan news from The Guardian (U.K.)Bhutan news from Topix â€œ News on Bhutan continually updated from thousands of sources around the net.â€�World News ConnectionÂ . Provided to the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) by the Open Source Center (OSC).
- Business & News tab > Global News > Far East News
- Westlaw International tab > International/Worldwide Materials > Asia & Pacific Rim
- Global News tab > Asia & Pacific Rim
- News & Business tab > Country & Region (excluding U.S.) > Asia Pacific > News
- News & Business tab > Country & Region (excluding U.S.) > Thailand
Thailand: News and Media. Links to free Internet news sources listed in the Open Directory Project.Bangkok Post (Registration required)World News ConnectionÂ . Provided to the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) by the Open Source Center (OSC).
- International/worldwide materials > Asia and the Pacific Rim > Individual Country Materials > Thailand > Business and News
- Business and News tab > Global News > Far East News
International and Regional Organizations
Note: Bhutan and Thailand are not necessarily members of all the organizations listed below. However, these web sites can be good sources of information.
Additional Resources for Selected Topics
Gross National Happiness
Women's and Children's Issues