International Team Project: Brazil Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for International Team Project Brazil at Northwestern University School of Law in the Spring 2012 semester by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian, and revised by Heidi Kuehl, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian and Coordinator of Educational Programming and Outreach.
Note: the law library does not collect materials on Latin American countries in vernacular languages. Some regional organization material is collected in Spanish.
General Country Information
Selected Governmental Web Sites
Additional web sites for Brazil
Laws and Legal System
Civil law legal systems in general
- "Civil Law" article in Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia (2002), vol. 1, pages 304-308
I, REF K 48 .L44 2002
- Apple, James G. and Robert P. Deyling, A Primer on the Civil-Law System (Federal Judicial Center, 1995).
- University of Ottawa Faculty of Law, World Legal Systems world map showing legal traditions followed by each country.
Introduction/research guides/links to selected laws in English
- “Brazil” chapter in Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia (2002) vol. I, pages 188-196 ( I,REF K48 .L44 2002 )
- Doing Legal Research in Brazil: Update By Edilenice Passos (GlobaLex, 2008).
- Introduction to Brazilian Law, ed. Fabiano Deffenti, Welber Barral (Kluwer Law International 2011). N, SBR KHD 327. I585 2011
- Legal Research Guide: Brazil Law Library of Congress. Note: call numbers are to materials in the Law Library of Congress.
- “Brazil” in Reynolds and Flores, Foreign Law Guide . Includes background on the legal system and legal publications, as well as citations to laws on particular topics and English language translations.
- Brazil Law Digest, in Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest. Digest of various areas of substantive law. Available in LexisNexis Legal > Area of Law–By Topic > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > Brazil > Martindale-Hubbell® Law Digest – South American Law Digests > Brazil Law Digest
- Brazil laws from WORLDLII World Legal Information Institute
- Guide to Law Online – Brazil Law Library of Congress
- Civil Code of Brazil, translated into English, with an introduction, index and glossary of selected Brazilian civil law terms by Julio Romañach, Jr. (Lawrence Pub. 2011). N,SBR KHD 404.32002 .A52 2011
Constitution and constitutional law
Sources for legislation and/or case law in Portuguese
Hints: Many subject areas are relevant-- not just law. | Use indexes to identify relevant articles. | " Advanced search" often easier than "basic search." | Find relevant citation, then click on " subject headings" or " descriptors" to find more. | " Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text. | NUcat " journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text.
News: General, Legal, and Business
Note that both Lexis and Westlaw allow you to create and save a search, to be run on a periodic basis, such as daily or weekly. For links to tutorials, see the Research Alerts page of the library's web site. Always check scope notes (click on information icon) for dates of coverage. Not all publications are current.
Many organizations make it possible to monitor news by means of an RSS/XML ("Really Simple Syndication") feed. For information of setting up RSS feeds, see the Research Alerts: RSS Feeds section of the library's web site.
- News & Business > Country & Region (excluding U.S.) > Brazil > News
- Global News tab > South America
- Business & News tab > Global News
- International/Worldwide Materials > South America > Individual Country Materials > Brazil > News
- News > International News > Latin America OR News > International News > Latin America > Brazil
Bloomberg Latin America business news (in English)
International Business Resources
Regional Organizations of Which Brazil is a Member—Selected List
Worldwide Organizations - Selected List
Additional Resources for Selected Topics