International Team Project: China Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for the International Team Project (ITP) - China course at Northwestern University School of Law, in conjunction with the Global Initiatives in Management (GIM) Program at the Kellogg Graduate School of Management, in the Spring 2012 semester, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
For questions about this guide, contact Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451)
Note: the law library does not collect materials in Chinese (unless included in a bilingual work). However, many Chinese language sources are available online. Materials in this checklist are primarily in English, unless otherwise noted.
General Country Information
Governmental web sites of the People's Republic of China
Laws and Legal System
- The Legal System of the People's Republic of China in a Nutshell, by Daniel C. K. Chow (2nd ed., 2009) (West Nutshell Series)
- Chinese Law and Legal Research, by Wei Luo (2005). An excellent, comprehensive discussion of Chinese legal research in its broader context.
- Finding Chinese Law on the Internet. By Joan Lio (GlobaLex, 2005)
- One Country, Two Systems: A Brief Guide to Finding the Law of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. By Roy L. Sturgeon and Sergio Stone (GlobaLex, 2011).
- An Introduction to the Legal System of the People's Republic of China, by Hongyi Chen (LexisNexis, 3rd ed. 2004) (4th ed., 2011, is on order).
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World by Reynolds and Flores. For each country, includes background on the legal system and legal publication, as well as citations to laws on particular topics and English language translations.
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia.
China: Vol. 1, pages 296-301
- China Law Digest, in Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest. Digest of various areas of substantive law, especially useful for company, corporate, and tax law.
LexisNexisÂ Legal > Find Laws by Country or Region > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > International Law Digests > Martindale-HubbellÂ® Law Digest-Asian Law Digests > People's Republic of China Law Digest
- Guide to Law Online > Nations of the World > China. Law Library of Congress.
- Global Legal Monitor. Law Library of Congress. Legal news and developments worldwide. Search from this screen; select China from the list.
- Asian Legal Information Institute (AsianLII) - China Resources.
- Hong Kong Legal Information Institute (HKLII).
Constitution and Constitutional Law
Law and Business in China - Some Recent Works
- China Law Deskbook: a Legal Guide for Foreign-Invested Enterprises, by James M. Zimmerman (A.B.A. Section of International Law, 3rd ed., 2010).
- Arbitration Law and Practice in China, by Jingzhou Tao (2nd ed., Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, 2008)
- Business Disputes in China, ed. Michael J. Moser (2nd ed., Juris Pub., 2009).
- Law, Wealth and Power in China: Commercial Law Reform in Context, ed. John Garrick (Routledge, 2011).
- International Encyclopaedia of Laws: Commercial and Economic LawÂ Click on "National Monographs," then "China," for a book-length treatment of Chinese commercial and economic law.
- International Encyclopaedia of Laws: Corporations and PartnershipsÂ Click on "National Monographs," then "China," for a book-length treatment of Chinese law on corporations and partnerships.
- International Encyclopaedia of Laws: Intellectual PropertyÂ Click on "National Monographs," then "China," for a book-length treatment of Chinese law on intellectual property.
- Westlaw ChinaÂ Database of Chinese law. Includes "most authoritative English translation of statutes, judicial interpretations, cases, arbitration awards and other legal matters." Note: in the English version, only translated documents are listed. [Chinese and English]
- LexisNexis China Law Database Â LexisNexisÂ Â Legal > Find Laws by Country of Region > Foreign Laws & Legal sources > China & Hong Kong > Legislation & Regulationsâ€œ...an authoritative collection of Chinese laws, regulations, tax information, judicial decisions, and other legal documents, collected from government sources, and translated by LexisNexis China Online (COL) in Beijing.â€�
- China Law and PracticeÂ Published by Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC; Includes texts of new legislation. Available from ABI Inform (ProQuest). July 2002- [English and Chinese.] Also on Westlaw (CHINALP).
- English translations of selected laws are available from the governmental web sites listed above.
- China Laws for Foreign Business. Business Regulation. Published by CCH Asia/Pacific. [Chinese and English.] N,HCP KNQ 914 1993 vols. 1-4
- The 1997 Criminal Code of the People's Republic of China / with English translation and introduction by Wei Luo (1998)
Court System and Case Law
Current Awareness, blogs
- China Law. Bimonthly magazine published in Hong Kong by China Law Services (H. K.) Ltd., "The Hong Kong incorporated window company of the Ministry of Justice of the People's Republic of China towards the outside world..." Articles on legal issues, notices of new laws, full-text of some laws. [English and Chinese]
- China Law Digest.
- Chinese Law Prof Blog. Prof. Donald C. Clarke, George Washington University Law School.
- China Law Blog: China Law for Business. Harris & Moure PLLC.
Finding Books at Northwestern University
- NUcat Searching Tips: using NUcat to search for books on a topic.
- The preceding section explains how clicking on the "Library of Congress Subject Headings" in a catalog record can help to focus a search. Subject headings can also be searched directly. From the NUcat "Search" tab, search in "Subject Heading" or "Browse Subject Heading" Some Library of Congress Subject Headings are listed below. (The dashes and parentheses can be omitted.)
Commercial law -- China
China â€“ Politics and government â€“ 21st century
Finding Books at Other Libraries
- WorldCatÂ . WorldCat is a catalog with records from thousands of libraries. It can be used to identify materials not held by Northwestern University. Northwestern University students can place interlibrary loan requests either directly through WorldCat or via the interlibrary loan request form found on the library's home page.
Finding Articles: Legal Topics
Finding Articles and Papers on Foreign and Comparative Law (for articles on law of countries other than the U.S. and comparative law methodology, from journals published both in the U.S. and abroad) Find Non-Law Articles (for subjects in the social sciences, humanities, and sciences)
- Many subject areas are relevant-- not just law.
- Use indexes to identify relevant articles.
- "Advanced search" is often easier than "basic search."
- Find a relevant citation, then click on "subject headings" or "descriptors" to find more.
- "Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text.
- NUcat "journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text
(see also "General Country Information," above, and web sites of International Organizations)
- China Data Online / Zhongguo Shu Ju Zai Xianâ€œ...economic statistics of China, arranged by regions and categories. Includes monthly and yearly reports on Chinaâ€™s macroeconomic development, statistical databases about Chinaâ€™s population and economy at the provincial, county, and city level, and financial indicators of more than 568 industrial branches. Also includes statistical yearbooks, industrial and marketing surveys, and an atlas of Chinaâ€�. In English and Chinese.
- ProQuest Statistical InsightÂ Indexes statistical information from a variety of sources, including the United States government, research firms, trade associations, university studies, and international agencies.
- NationMaster.com: China. Comparative statistics from authoritative information sources.
- Worldwide Statistical Resources Pritzker Legal Research Center.
News: General, Legal, and Business
- LexisNexis .
- Westlaw .
- All Databases > International/Worldwide Materials > Asia and the Pacific Rim > Individual Country Materials > China > News and Business
- All Databases > International/Worldwide Materials > Multi-National Materials > Business and News
- China: News and Media. Links to free Internet news sources listed in the Open Directory Project.
- World News ConnectionÂ . Provided to the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) by the Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS)
- ISI Emerging MarketsÂ includes business and legal news for China.
- China Daily
- Xinhua News Agency
- China.org.cn ("China's Official Gateway to News and Information")
- People's Daily Online (English language version)
- South China Morning Post, online edition. Published in Hong Kong. Searchable on LexisNexisÂ ; file name SCHINA. Also South China Morning Post - Business and Finance Stories.
International Business Resources
- See our web site's International Trade, Business, and Economic Law page.
- ABI/INFORMÂ Business and management index. Citations and abstracts of articles from more than 1,300 journals, including over 350 English-language international sources. Full-text articles from over 600 selected sources. Westlaw : ABI-INFORM (ABI/Inform (R) (DIALOG)) and ABI-INFORM Current (ABI/Inform (R) - Current (DIALOG))
- Business Source PremierÂ "[P]rovides nearly 3,300 full-text scholarly publications, including more than 1,000 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to the full-text, this database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 4,100 journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more."
- GlobalEdge - Global Insights - China and Hong Kong. Michigan State University.
- Asian Business and Management.
Regional and International Organizations
Note: China may not be a member of all the organizations listed below. However, these web sites can often be good sources of information about China.
Additional Resources for Special Topics
Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources
Human Rights/Human Rights and Business