International Team Project: Egypt Research Checklist
Prepared for International Team Project Egypt at Northwestern University School of Law, Spring 2009 Semester, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
For questions about this guide, contact Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451)
Materials in this checklist are primarily in English, unless otherwise noted.
Note: The Melville J. Herskovits Library of African Studies (the Africana Collection) at Northwestern University Library is the largest separate Africana Collection in the world. Its comprehensive subject collection includes law.
General Country Information
African and Middle Eastern Studies Web Sites
Governmental Web Sites
Laws and Legal System
Introductions/Research Guides/Links to Selected Laws:
- "Egypt," in Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, volume 2, pages 463-467. I,REF K 48 .L44 2002 vol. 2
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the WorldÂ by Reynolds and Flores. For each country, includes background on the legal system and legal publication, as well as citations to laws on particular topics and to English language translations
- An Overview of the Egyptian Legal System and Legal Research, by Dr. Mohamed S. Abdel Wahab (GlobaLex, 2008)
- Egyptian Law from Jurist
- Egypt and its Laws, ed. by Nathalie Bernard-Maugiron and Baudoin Dupret (2002) . N,IEG KRM 68 .E39 2002
- Guide to Law Online: Egypt Law Library of Congress
- World Legal Information Institute: Egypt
- EgyptLaws Middle East Library for Economic Services. Selected laws available for sale, in English and Arabic.
- Emergency Law, no.162/1958, as amended By Laws Nos. 60/1968, 164/1981 and 50/1982, is available from the Foreign and International Law Librarian.
- The Egyptian Peopleâ€™s Assembly Texts of laws in Arabic.
- Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law. University of London, Centre of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law. Country Survey for Egypt has summaries of recent laws. N,GAA KMC 112 .Y43
- Islamic Family Law: Egypt. From Emory University Law School. Note: updated as of 2002 only.
- Islamic Marriage and Divorce Laws of the Arab World, by Dawoud El Alami and Doreen Hinchcliffe (1996), chapter 3, " Egypt," pages 51-62. N,GAA KMC 160 .E4 1996
- The Constitution of the Arab Republic of Egypt, as amended to 2007, from Oxford Constitutions of the WorldÂ (search for Egypt in "Jurisdiction" box). Also available in print. I,MON K 3157 .A2B58 1971 v.6 This resource also includes Law Number 48/1979 on the Supreme Constitutional Court (as Amended by Decree-Law 168/1998), a bibliography, and an introductory note by Rainer Grote, Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law.
Hints: Many subject areas are relevant - not just law. | Use indexes to identify relevant articles. | " Advanced search" often easier than "basic search." | Find relevant citation, then click on " subject headings" or " descriptors" to find more. | " Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text. | NUcat " journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text.
News: General, Legal, and Business
- Note that both Lexis and Westlaw allow you to create and save a search, to be run on a periodic basis, such as daily or weekly. For links to tutorials, see the Research Alerts page of the library's web site. Many organizations make it possible to monitor news by means of an RSS/XML ("Really Simple Syndication") feed. For information of setting up RSS feeds, see the Research Alerts: RSS Feeds section of the library's web site.
International Business Resources
- ABI/INFORMÂ Citations, abstracts and many full text articles on business and management
Regional and International Organizations
Note: Egypt is not necessarily a member of all the organizations listed below. However, these web sites can often be good sources of information about Egypt.
Additional Resources for Special Topics
Art and Culture
- Web of KnowledgeÂ Select "Arts and Humanities Citation Index."
- Humanities Abstracts Â Bibliographic citations and many abstracts and links to full text of articles from periodicals in topics such as archaeology, art, film, folklore, music, the performing arts, philosophy, religion, and world literature.
- Egypt From UNICEF. Background information on the social conditions experienced by children.
- Islamic Family Law. From Emory University Law School. Note: updated as of 2002 only.
- Family and Society Studies WorldwideÂ . Citations and abstracts in family science, human ecology, and human development.
- ERICÂ Citations to articles and reports on education.
Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources
- ECOLEX. World Conservation Union (IUCN). A database of imformation on environmental law.
- FAOLEX. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. A legislative database on food, agriculture, and renewable natural resources.
Politics and Government
- International Political Science AbstractsÂ . Citations and abstracts to English and non-English language periodicals throughout the world. Covers political science, public law, international law, and international relations.
- Worldwide Political Science AbstractsÂ . Citations with abstract from more than 1100 journals in political science and related disciplines. Coverage is international in scope.