International Team Project: India - Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for students participating in the International Team Project: India course at Northwestern University School of Law in the spring 2012 semester, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
For questions about this guide, contact Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451)
Governmental web sites
Non-Governmental web sites
Laws and Legal System
Research Guides and Descriptions of Legal System / Collections of Links
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, vol. 2, pages 693-699
- A Guide to India's Legal Research and Legal System. By Dr. Rakesh Kumar Srivastava (GlobaLex, 2010).
- Guide to Indian Laws. By V. Ramakrishnan (GlobaLex, 2006).
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World by Reynolds and Flores. For each country, includes background on the legal system and legal publication, as well as citations to laws on particular topics and English language translations.
- Guide to Law Online: India. Law Library of Congress. For legal developments see Global Legal Monitor: India.
- Legal Information Institute of India (LIII).
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest. The "digest" consists of detailed summaries of the law on selected substantive and procedural topics, arranged alphabetically.
LexisNexis Legal > Find Laws by Country or Region > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > International Law Digest > Martindale-Hubbell® Law Digest-Asian Law Digests > India Law Digest
Constitution and Constitutional Law
Finding Books at Northwestern University
constitutional law -- India
India - Rural conditions
Human rights -- India
Finding books at other libraries:
- Many subject areas are relevant-- not just law.
- Use indexes to identify relevant articles.
- "Advanced search" is often easier than "basic search."
- Find a relevant citation, then click on "subject headings" or "descriptors" to find more.
- "Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text.
- NUcat "journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text
- Finding Articles and Papers on Foreign and Comparative Law (for articles on law of countries other than the U.S. and comparative law methodology, from journals published both in the U.S. and abroad)
- Finding Articles and Papers on International Law (for public and private international law)
- Find Non-Law Articles (for subjects in the social sciences, humanities, and sciences)
News: General, Legal, and Business
International Business Resources
Regional and International Organizations
Note: India is not necessarily a member of all the organizations listed below. However, these web sites are good sources of information about India.
Additional Resources for Selected Topics
- ERIC (EBSCO) Annotated references to articles on education, 1966 to present.
Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources
Human Rights/Human Trafficking
Women's and Children's Issues