International Team Project: Morocco Research Checklist
Prepared for International Team Project: Morocco at Northwestern Law, Spring 2009, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
For questions about this guide, contact Heidi Kuehl, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian and Coordinator of Educational Programming and Outreach (e-mail | (312) 503-4725)
Materials in this checklist are primarily in English, unless otherwise noted.
General Country Information
Selected web sites for Morocco
African and Middle Eastern Studies Web Sites
Laws and Legal System
Introductions/Research Guides/Links to Codes and Legislation
- Guide to the Morocco Legal System, by Dahmène Touchent (GlobaLex, 2006) .
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World by Reynolds and Flores. For each country, background on the legal system and legal publication, citations to laws on particular topics and to English language translations. Note: may not be up-to-date with respect to Moroccan family law.
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia. Morocco: Vol. 3, pages 1070-1075 (I,REF K 48 .L44 2002)
- "The Legal System of the Kingdom of Morocco," by C. Scott Talbot, in Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia, volume 6. Note: this article dates from the mid 1980s (I,REF K 48 .M62 1988 )
- Guide to Law Online: Morocco Law Library of Congress.
- World Legal Information Institute: Morocco
- ADALA Maroc Portail Juridique et Judiciaire du Ministère de la Justice du Maroc. Legal portal from the Ministry of Justice. Available in French and Arabic versions; Arabic version may include more texts. Access to codes, legislation, treaties, circulars, practice tools, statistics, etc.
- Kingdom of Morocco: Ministry of Justice Includes " Judicial Organization", " Judicial Chart" and Constitution (under "Legislation"). French language version includes texts of some laws that are not available in the English language version.
- Droit francophone: Maroc Links to legal resources for Morocco. In French.
- Droit des affairs au Maroc Droit-Afrique.com. Links to business laws. In French.
The Moroccan Family Code (Moudawana) of February 5, 2004 Unofficial English translation.
- Code de la Famille: La Moudawana (2004) Ministère de la Justice du Maroc. See left navigation panel for links to Code de la Famille (PDF), as well as “Guide Pratique du Code de la Famille,” and “Foire aux Questions” (which constitutes the content portion of the page).
- Code de la Famille (2004) Ministère de la Justice du Maroc (ADALA Maroc portal).
- Statistics on marriage and divorce ADALA Maroc portal.
- Family law prior to 2004 revision may be found at the following: Amazigh World: Morocco, which includes Civil Code (in French) under link name, "Ancien code de la femme de 1958" ; El Alami, Islamic Marriage and Divorce Laws of the Arab World (1996) ( N,GAA KMC 160 .E4 1996), which includes English translation of "The Code of Personal Status" at page 198- ; Islamic Family Law: Morocco, Emory University Law School, updated as of 2002.
Finding Books on Morocco
Hints: Many subject areas are relevant--not just law. | Use indexes to identify relevant articles. | " Advanced search" often easier than "basic search." | Find relevant citation, then click on "subject headings" or " descriptors" to find more. | " Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text. | NUcat " journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text.
News: General, Legal, and Business
Note that both Lexis and Westlaw allow you to create and save a search, to be run on a periodic basis, such as daily or weekly.
For links to tutorials, see the Research Alerts page of the library's web site. Always check scope notes (click on information icon) for dates of coverage. Not all publications are current.
Many organizations make it possible to monitor news by means of an RSS/XML ("Really Simple Syndication") feed. For information of setting up RSS feeds, see the Research Alerts: RSS Feeds section of the library's web site.
LexisNexis. News & Business tab > Country & Region (excluding U.S.) > Middle East & Africa
- Business & News tab > Global News
- Westlaw International tab > International/Worldwide Materials > Middle East & North Africa
- Morocco: News and Media. Links to free Internet news sources listed in the Open Directory Project.
- World News Connection . Provided to the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) by the Open Source Center (OSC)
- Le Service de Press-Ambassade. From the web site of the French Embassy to Morocco (in French).
- ISI Emerging Markets includes news items.
International Business Resources
See our web site's International Trade, Business, and Economic Law page.
( Morocco is not necessarily a member, but these web sites are good sources of information about Morocco.)
(These are some regional organizations of which Morocco is a member)
Additional Resources for Special Topics
(see also Women's Issues)
- ERIC Citations to articles and reports on education.
Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources
ECOLEX. World Conservation Union (IUCN). A database of imformation on environmental law.
FAOLEX. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. A legislative database on food, agriculture, and renewable natural resources.
(see also Children/Family