International Team Project: Fiji and New Zealand Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for students participating in the International Team Project: Fiji and New Zealand course at Northwestern University School of Law in the spring 2012 semester, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
For questions about this guide, contact Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451)
- General Resources by Country or Region The resources listed in this section, both print and online, together provide a great deal of information on the history, geography, government, economy, etc., of the countries of the world. See "Resources for more than one country or region." For Fiji and New Zealand, see especially the following: Europa World Yearbook OnlineÂ ; Political Handbook of the WorldÂ ; World Factbook; Background Notes (U.S. Dept. of State); BBC News â€“ Country Profiles; Country, Economy, and Regional Information Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade; Country Profiles United Kingdom Foreign and Commonwealth Office; Foreign Information by Country University of Colorado Libraries; Economist Intelligence UnitÂ ; Freedom in the World; Index of Economic Freedom.
- About New Zealand. Government of New Zealand.
Governmental Information: Fiji
Governmental Information: New Zealand
Laws and Legal System: Fiji
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia (2002). "Fiji," by Jennifer Corrin Care, vol. 2, pages 532-537
- Pacific Islands Legal Information Institute (PacLII). See Fiji Islands Laws.
- Fiji Courts System Information. Pacific Islands Legal Information Institute (PacLII).
- Introduction to Researching South Pacific Law, by Peter Murgatroyd (GlobaLex, 2009).
- Introduction to South Pacific Law, by Jennifer Corrin and Don Paterson (2nd ed., 2007)
- Global Legal Monitor. Law Library of Congress. Legal news and developments worldwode. Search from this screen; select Fiji from the list.
- Guide to Law Online: Nations of the World - Fiji. Law Library of Congress.
- Oxford Constitutions of the WorldÂ . This site includes the texts of various acts. Also available in hard copy
I,MON K 3157 .A2 B58 1971
Laws and Legal System: New Zealand
Introductions and Research Guides:
- An Introduction to New Zealand Law and sources of Legal Information. By Margaret Greville, updated by Maria Connor (GlobaLex, 2011). A detailed, annotated research guide, with links to resources.
- New Zealand Law: University of Waikato Law Library
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, ed. by Herbert M. Kritzer (ABC-CLIO, 2002). Short articles on each country (or non-jurisdictional legal system) place the legal system in context. New Zealand chapter is in volume 3, pages 1153-1158.
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the WorldÂ , by Thomas H. Reynolds and Arturo A. Flores ("Reynolds and Flores"). Includes introductory materials (in-depth discussion of the legal history and legal publication), major publications, and citations to official sources for laws on specific subjects. It also cites to unofficial sources for detailed discussion and/or English language translations.
- The New Zealand Legal SystemÂ Ministry of Justice.
- The New Zealand Legal System, by Fiona Crichton. Auckland District Law Society.
- Law Alive: the New Zealand Legal System in Context, by Grant Morriss.Â Oxford University Press, 2009.
MON KUQ 68 .M67 2009
- A New Zealand Legal History, by Peter Spiller, Jeremy Finn, and Richard Boast. 2nd ed. Wellington, New Zealand: Brookers, 2001.
- The New Zealand Legal System: Structures, Processes and Legal Theory, by Morag McDowell and Duncan Webb. 3rd ed. Wellington; Austin, Tex.: LexisNexis Butterworths, 2002.
- Introduction to the New Zealand Legal System, by Raymond D. Mulholland. 10th ed. LexisNexis Butterworths, 2001.
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest. The "digest" consists of detailed summaries of the law on selected substantive and procedural topics, arranged alphabetically. New Zealand digest was prepared by Faculty of Law, University of Auckland.
LexisNexisÂ Legal > Find Laws by Country or Region > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > International Law Digest > Martindale-HubbellÂ® Law Digest-Asian Law Digests > New Zealand Law Digest
- New Zealand Legal Information Institute (NZLII)
- New Zealand links. From World Legal Information Institute (WorldLII).
- Replacing the Privy Council: A New Supreme Court?Â Â Report of the Advisory Group. Wellington, Office of the Attorney-General, 2002.
Constitution and Constitutional Law
The Laws of New Zealand
LexisNexisÂ Legal > Find Laws by Country or Region > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > New Zealand > Commentaries and Treatises >
The Laws of New Zealand (LONZ)
Finding Books at Northwestern University
Finding Books at Other Libraries
- WorldCat .
WorldCat is a catalog with records from thousands of libraries. It can be used to identify materials not held by Northwestern University. Northwestern University students can place interlibrary loan requests either directly through WorldCat or via the interlibrary loan request form found on the library's home page.
- Many subject areas are relevant-- not just law.
Use indexes to identify relevant articles.
- "Advanced search" is often easier than "basic search."
Find a relevant citation, then click on "subject headings" or "descriptors" to find more.
- "Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text.
NUcat "journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text.
- Finding Articles and Papers on Foreign and Comparative Law (for articles on law of countries other than the U.S. and comparative law methodology, from journals published both in the U.S. and abroad)
- Finding Articles and Papers on International Law (for public and private international law)
- Find Non-Law Articles (for subjects in the social sciences, humanities, and sciences)
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses (PQDT)Â Entries for doctoral dissertations and master's theses, many of which are available in full text for immediate free download. Can search by school, e.g., Northwestern.
News: General, Legal, and Business
- LexisNexisÂ . News & Business
> Country and Region (excluding US) > New Zealand > New Zealand News
- WestlawÂ International/Worldwide materials > Asia and the Pacific Rim > Individual Country Materials > New Zealand Â >Business and News
- Fiji: News and Media Links to free Internet news sources listed in the Open Directory Project.
- New Zealand: News and Media. Links to free Internet news sources listed in the Open Directory Project.
International Business Resources
Additional Resources for Selected Topics