International Team Project: Panamá Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for students participating in International Team Project: Panamá at Northwestern University School of Law in the spring 2005 semester.
Also use the Conduct Research portion of the law library web site. In particular, see the Foreign and Comparative and International sections.
Note: The law library does not collect materials on Latin American countries in vernacular languages. Materials in this checklist are in English, unless otherwise noted.
Key to call number locations:
- I,REF = international reference area, 3rd floor of Rubloff
- R,REF = reference room, 2nd floor of Rubloff
- REF = shelving area under grand staircase, 2nd floor of Rubloff
- D,USG = government documents shelving area, 3rd floor of Rubloff
- I,MON = international and comparative law books, 3rd floor of Rubloff
- I,PER = international periodicals, 3rd floor Rubloff
- Sp.Pan = the old call number for Panamá, located on the basement level of the Coon Library. Closed stacks, see librarian for assistance.
- N,LPA = the new location symbol for Panamá, 3rd floor of Rubloff
General Country Information
- Europa World Year Book I,REF JN 1 .E84 2004
Information on Panamá also available via the online version.
- Political Handbook of the World I,REF JF 37 .P63 2005/2006
- World Factbook I,REF G 122 .U56a 2004
2004 edition also available via the Internet (see Panamá).
- Encyclopaedia Britannica R,REF AE 5 .E363 2002
Information on Panamá also available through Encyclopaedia Britannica Online .
- The Economist Intelligence Unit provides reports on economic conditions in Panamá .
- The U.S. Dept. of State provides background notes on Panamá.
- Panama, a Country Study. Federal Research Division, Library of Congress; ed. by Sandra W. Meditz and Dennis M. Hanratty (4th ed., 1989). Sp.Pan 41 P187 1989
Also available via the Internet.
Data as of December 1987.
Selected web sites for Panamá
Area Studies Resources
Civil Law Legal Systems in General
Laws and Legal System
- "Panama" by Gilberto Boutin, in International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law, vol. 1, "National Reports, "fascicle P." This article was completed in 1992.
Shelved in the office of the Foreign and International Law Librarian.
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World by Reynolds and Flores. For each country, includes background on the legal system and legal publication, as well as citations to laws on particular topics and English language translations. An indispensable source for foreign law research.
Also available in print; shelved in office of Foreign and International Law Librarian. Online version is more current and includes links.
- "The Legal System of Panama" by John T. Oliver, in Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia, volume 7.
I,REF K 48 .M62 1988
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia.
Panama: Vol. 3, pages 1258-1264
I,REF K 48 .L44 2002
- Law and Judicial Systems of Nations. World Jurist Association.
Panama: pages 416-421
I,REF K 583 .L375 2002
- Panama Law Digest, in Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest. Digest of various areas of substantive law, especially useful for company, corporate, and tax law.
I,REF K 68 .M37
Also available on Lexis (INTDIG file)
- Legal System of Panama, 40 St. Louis U. L.J. 1393-1396 (1996) .
- Guide to Law Online (Law Library of Congress)
- World Legal Information Institute: Panama
- Annual Review of Population Law Abstracts of laws, sometimes full-text, including family law areas.
I,PER K 1 .N584
Legislation -- Online Sources:
- Political Constitution of the Republic of Panama is reprinted in Constitutions of the Countries of the World, vol. 14.
I,MON K 3157 .A2B58 1971 v.14
Also available electronically (Search for "Panama" in "Jurisdiction" box)
Finding Books on Panama
- Szladits' Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law: Books and Articles in EnglishThrough the supplement for 1989-90 it provided references to books, journal articles, and essays published in collections, in English. It included a section citing to the texts of laws (including constitutions) in translation, published in both books and articles. This index now covers only books, not periodical articles. Statutes are now usually excluded.
I,REF K 38 .S94 1955 and supplements
I,REF K 38 .S94 1990
I,REF K 38 .S94 1995/1996
I,REF K 38 .S94 1997/1998
- To find books at Northwestern University: NUcat, the catalog of Northwestern University libraries, provides various ways to find books on a topic. These include searching by keyword (for which there are several methods) and searching by subject (using Library of Congress subject headings).
(Note: NUcat can be used to find out whether the library owns a particular periodical, but it is not used for finding articles within periodicals; for this, you use a periodical index, described in the following section.)"Guided Search" tab: It is sometimes easiest to start with a "guided" search, using words or phrases that are likely to appear in the record for a relevant book. From the NUcat screen, click on the "Guided Search" tab. Guided searches allow you to search for words or phrases in specific parts of the bibliographic record (e.g., author, title, subject) or as keywords; to use connectors (e.g., and, or); and to limit your search (e.g., by location, date, language). The search screen is set up in such a way as to guide you through the search formulation process and minimize the amount of typing. Searching in "keyword anywhere" is usually the best. For example, to search on human rights in Panama, you might try:
Search for: panama, select "all of these," search in "keyword anywhere"
"Search" tab: Keyword searching is also available under the "Search" tab by clicking on "keyword search" or "keyword phrase search." You must formulate and type in the search, both terms and connector, yourself. An example of a "Keyword" search is:
Search for: human rights, "select "as a phrase," search in "keyword anywhere"
Panama and (law? or legal)
Once you have found a relevant book, you can look at the record in "long view" to find the Library of Congress subject headings for the book. You can then do a subject search by clicking on the link. This will sometimes retrieve additional relevant books that were not found by the keyword search. You may also do a subject heading search from the "Search" tab by choosing "Subject Heading." An example of a Library of Congress subject heading is:
Note: Materials on the law of a particular country on a particular subject might be found either in books devoted to the jurisdiction or in materials devoted to the subject. An example of a work classified (i.e., shelved) by jurisdiction is:
Examples of books and loose-leaf services, etc., on a specific subject, which include discussion of more than one jurisdiction:
Operation "Just Cause" N,LPA F 1567 .O64 1991
Constitutions of the Countries of the World I,MON K 3157 .A2B58 1971-Copyright Laws and Treaties of the World I,MON K 1419.2 1956-Digest of Commercial Laws of the World I,MON K 1005.4 .D54 1996-International Encyclopaedia for Labour Law and Industrial Relations I,MON K1705.4 .I58
- To find books at other libraries: WorldCat This international database contains records from thousands of libraries. Illinet Online This database contains records for many Illinois libraries.
The library catalogs of many other institutions may be accessed via our law library catalogs and homepages page.
Finding Articles: Legal Topics
- LegalTrac Current Law Index R,REF K 33 .C87 Lexis : Legal Resource Index (LAWREV;LGLIND)Westlaw: Legal Resource Index (LRI) The most comprehensive periodical index for U.S. legal research, this index, which began in 1980, can also be used to find articles on international and comparative law topics. It covers more than 850 journals from the United States, Canada, Great Britain, New Zealand, and Australia.
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books (ILP) R,REF K 33 .I5342
A bibliographic database that cites articles from legal periodicals and indexes law books. Indexes periodicals from U.S., Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. Also indexes university publications, yearbooks, institutes, and government publications. Subjects covered include international law. Dates covered: 1981 to present; ILP Retro (searchable alone or in combination with ILP) covers periodical articles 1918-1981.
- Current Index to Legal Periodicals (most recent five issues) Current Index to Legal Periodicals R,REF K33 .C865 Westlaw : CILP database (most recent eight issues)
A current awareness service, published weekly by the University of Washington law library. More up-to-date than LegalTrac.
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals I,REF K 33 .I529
This index, which began in 1960, covers more than 550 selected legal periodicals, most of which are published outside of the United States, as well as collections of essays, dealing with international law (both public and private), comparative law, and the domestic law of countries worldwide. It does not attempt to cover the legal systems of the United States, the British Isles, and the British Commonwealth. The web version covers 1985 onward.
Finding Articles, Papers, Proceedings, etc.: Non-Legal Topics
Note: The following is a selective list of useful finding aids. For a complete list of finding aids available at Northwestern, see the Northwestern University Library's Electronic Resources database.
- Handbook of Latin American Studies. Library of Congress
In print: Main Reference (non-circulating) 016.98 H236
A selective, annotated bibliography of scholarly works on Latin America. Covers books, journal articles, book chapters, and conference papers in the disciplines of anthropology, art, economics, geography, government and politics, history, international relations, literature, music, philosophy, and sociology.
- PAIS International (1972 - present) and PAIS International Archive (1937-1976) PAIS International in Print REF Z 7163 .P9223
Published by Public Affairs Information Service. Indexes and abstracts public and social policy literature published in over 120 countries. Includes such areas as economics, finance, law, education, the military, political science, public administration, international law and relations, the environment, and demography. The materials indexed include journal articles, books, reports of governmental, private, and intergovernmental organizations, statistical directories, research reports, conference reports, selected microfiche, and selected Internet resources originally published in English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese.
- CIAO: Columbia International Affairs Online Citations, abstracts, and selected full-text articles covering topics in international affairs, collected largely from university- and foundation-funded research institutes, non-governmental organizations, and academic conferences. Includes working papers, conference proceedings, journal and book abstracts, and links to related resources.
- OxResearch Short articles by Oxford Analytica in the areas of business and management, economics, and political science.
- EXAC (Expanded Academic ASAP) An online index to articles in more than 1,000 periodicals covering the social sciences, the humanities, the sciences, and current affairs.
- Web of Knowledge Web of Knowledge contains five individual databases, which may be searched separately or simultaneously: Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, Arts and Humanities Citation Index, Book Citation Index-Science, and Book Citation Index-Social Sciences and Humanities. Social Sciences Citation Index covers anthropology, history, industrial relations, law, linguistics, psychology, psychiatry, political science, public health, social issues, sociology, substance abuse, urban studies, women's studies.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences Citations from an international selection of publications, including over 2600 journals, in all areas of the social sciences with emphasis on economics, political science, sociology and anthropology. Information for this database is compiled by the British Library of Political and Economic Science and the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- HAPI Online: Hispanic American Periodicals Index Provides citations to worldwide information about Central and South America, Mexico, the Caribbean basin, the United States-Mexico border region, and Hispanics in the United States.
- FirstSearch Includes a number of databases that index articles, papers, and proceedings in a variety of subject areas. A few of the individual databases are listed below:
- ArticleFirst Index of articles from 12,500 journals in business, the humanities, social sciences, popular culture, science, technology, and medicine, from 1990 onwards. Some entries have abstracts; some have full text.
- ProceedingsFirst Index of conference proceedings.
Dissertations Abstracts database. "Citations and abstracts for doctoral dissertations, and some master's theses, from accredited North American colleges and universities and some international universities." Available from the following:
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses: Full Text Entries for more than 2 million doctoral dissertations and master's theses. Dissertations published from 1980 forward include 350-word abstracts written by the author. Master's theses published from 1988 forward include 150-word abstracts. More than 600,000 dissertations and theses are available in native or image PDF formats for immediate free download.
- Dissertations Abstracts OnlineWestlaw (DAO)
(See also General Country Information
- NationMaster.com: Panama. Comparative statistics drawn from authoritative information resources.
- OFFStats: Official Statistics on the Web. From the University of Auckland Library, this site "lists web sites offering free and easily accessible social, economic and general data from official or similar 'quotable' sources, especially those that provide both current data and time series."
- ProQuest Statistical Insight Indexes statistical information from a variety of sources, including the United States government, research firms, trade associations, university studies, and international agencies.
- Statistical Datasets Search for statistical information from more than 65 source organizations across 90 billion data points and 2 billion charts, maps, views, rankings, time series and tables."
News: General, Legal, and Business
- Lexis .
- Westlaw :
- Directory location: "All Databases > International/Worldwide Materials > Central America and the Caribbean > Regional Materials"
- Panama: News and Media. Links to free Internet news sources listed in the Open Directory Project.
- World News Connection
International Business Resources
- See our web site's International Trade, Business, and Economic Law page.
- ABI/INFORM Business and management index. Citations and abstracts of articles from more than 1,300 journals, including over 350 English-language international sources. Full text articles from over 600 selected sources.Westlaw : ABI-INFORM (ABI/Inform (R) (DIALOG)) and ABI-INFORM Current (ABI/Inform (R) - Current (DIALOG))
- Business Source Premier "[P]rovides nearly 3,300 full text scholarly publications, including more than 1,000 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to the full text, this database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 4,100 journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more."
- GlobalEDGE (TM) Resource Desk. Michigan State University.
Regional and International Organization Participation
Additional Resources for Special Topics
- Art and Culture
- Web of Knowledge Select "Arts and Humanities Citation Index"
- Humanities Abstracts "Bibliographic citations from more than 450 periodicals in topics such as archaeology, art, classics, film, folklore, journalism, linguistics, music, the performing arts, philosophy, religion, world history, and world literature. Records added since 1994 have abstracts, and many citations have links to the full text of the article."
- eHRAF Collection of Ethnography Human Area Relations Files. Yale University. Cross-cultural database on all aspects of cultural and social life, organized by culture and ethnic group.
- Children/Juvenile Justice
- At a Glance: Panama. From UNICEF. Provides background information on the social conditions experienced by children.
- Criminal Justice
- ERIC Annotated references to over 2,000 titles "issued in the monthly Resources in Education (RIE) and to journal articles issued in the monthly Current Index to Journals in Education (CIJE)." Dates of coverage: 1966 to present.
- Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources
- Human Rights
- Panama Canal
- Pereira, Mariana, New Legal Framework of the Panama Canal, 28 Int'l Bus. Law. 421-426 (2000).
I,PER K 9 .N8733314
- Women's Issues