International Team Project: South Africa Research Checklist
Prepared for International Team Project: South Africa at Northwestern University School of Law, spring 2012 semester, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Librarian and revised by Heidi Kuehl, Coordinator of Educational Programming and Outreach.
The Melville J. Herskovits Library of African Studies (the Africana Collection) at the NU main library is the largest separate Africana Collection in the world. Its comprehensive subject collection includes law.
- General Resources by Country or Region Pritzker Legal Research Center. The resources on this page provide a great deal of information on the history, geography, government, economy, etc., of the countries of the world. See "Resources for more than one country or region."
Business and Economic Conditions: Additional Resources
African Studies Web Sites and Other Web Sites for Africa
South African Governmental Information
Laws and Legal System
Introductions, Description, Analysis, Legal Research, Legal Organizations
- Introduction to the Law of South Africa, ed. C.G. van der Merwe, Jacques E. du Plessis (2004). N,ISO KTL 68 .I583 2004
- "South Africa" in Legal Systems of the World : a Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, ed. Herbert M. Kritzer, vol. 4, pages 1483-1491. I, REF K48 .L44 2002
- Researching South African Law (GlobaLex) By Amanda Barratt and Pamela Snyman, update by Redson Edward Kapindu. (2010)
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World by Reynolds and Flores. For each country, background on the legal system and legal publication, citations to laws on particular topics and to English language translations.
- "South Africa Law Digest" in Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest.
- Annual Survey of South African Law Has chapters on various aspects of SA law. 1947-2009. I,PER K 1 .N675 Also in HeinOnline (1947-2007)
- General Council of the Bar of South Africa
- Law Society of South Africa
- Legal Aid South Africa
Comprehensive Legal Links
Finding Books on South Africa
Hints: Many subject areas are relevant - not just law. | Use indexes to identify relevant articles. | "Advanced search" often easier than "basic search." | Find relevant citation, then click on "subject headings" or "descriptors" to find more. | "Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text. | NUcat "journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text.
South African Law Journals
News: General, Legal, and Business
- ISI Emerging Markets Sub-Saharan Africa > News > Latest News by Country > South Africa
- Lexis. News & Business; then Country & Region (excluding U.S.); then either Worldnews or Middle East & Africa.
- Westlaw. International/Worldwide materials; then Sub-Saharan Africa; then Regional Materials and Individual Country Materials.
- allAfrica.com (African news wire)
- Law Society of South Africa Click on "Media"
- Legalbrief. Includes an extensive archive of law-related newspaper articles (in full text), including reports on court cases and new legislation. (Some materials available to subscribers only)
- News and Media Links. From South Africa Government Information.
- De Rebus
- World News Connection . Provided to the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) by the Open Source Center (OSC)
African Regional Organizations
(Note: South Africa is not a member of all of these organizations or a signatory to all treaties creating the organizations)
Other Intergovernmental Organizations
(Note: South Africa is not necessarily a member of all.)
Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) resources:
- NGO Pulse Southern African NGO Network (SANGONeT)
- HuriSearch Portal HURIDOCS (Human Rights Documentation and Information Systems International) A search engine that searches over 4,000 human rights websites worldwide.
Additional Resources for Selected Topics:
- ISI Emerging Markets . Under “ South Africa” select “Industries,” then “Mining, Quarrying and Oil and Gas Extraction." Search within this industry for “diamond.”
- ERIC (EBSCO) Citations to articles and reports on education.
Truth and Reconciliation Commission
Water Rights/Environment/Land Use
- ECOLEX. World Conservation Union (IUCN). A database of information on environmental law.
- FAOLEX. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. A legislative database on food, agriculture, and renewable natural resources.
South African Law Schools and Law Libraries - selective list