International Team Project: Tanzania -- Research Checklist
Prepared for International Team Project Tanzania, Northwestern University School of Law, Spring 2011 semester, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
For questions about this guide, contact Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451)
African Studies Web Sites and Databases
Web Sites for Tanzania
Laws and Legal System
Introductions and Research Guides:
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, ed. by Herbert M. Kritzer (ABC-CLIO, 2002).
I, REF K48 .L44 2002 " Tanzania" chapter is in vol 4, pages 1597-1603.
- Guide to Tanzanian Legal System and Legal Research By Bahame Tom Nyanduga and Christabel Manning, updated by Christabel Manning and Seka Kasera (GlobaLex, 2010).
- Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World by Thomas H. Reynolds and Arturo A. Flores. For each country, background on the legal system and legal publication, citations to laws on particular topics and to English language translations.
- Constitutional and Legal System of Tanzania: A Civics Sourcebook, Issa G. Shivi, et al. (2004). N,ITA KTT 6.5 .C66 2004 and AFRICANA 342.678 C758
- Twaib, Fauz. The Legal Profession in Tanzania: Law and Practice (2008). AFRICANA 347.67803 T969l
Links to Selected Legal Materials:
- Parliament of Tanzania Category “Documents” includes Acts (session laws) starting in 2002 and current Bills in full text in English. Other materials are available in Swahili.
Hints: Many subject areas are relevant - not just law. | Use indexes to identify relevant articles. | "Advanced search" often easier than "basic search." | Find relevant citation, then click on "subject headings" or "descriptors" to find more. | "Find it at NU" button often leads to electronic full text. | NUsearch "journal title" search leads to print and/or electronic full text.
News: General, Legal, and Business
- News & Business > Country and Region (excluding US) > Middle East and Africa > News
- News & Business > Country and Region (excluding US) > Tanzania > News
- International/Worldwide materials > Sub-Saharan Africa > Regional Materials > Business & News
Online News Sites (English)
International Business Resources
Regional and International Organizations
Note: Tanzania is not necessarily a member of all the organizations listed below. However, these web sites are good sources of information about Tanzania.
African Regional Organizations
Additional Resources for Selected Topics
- ERIC Citations to articles and reports on education.
Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources