International Team Project: Thailand Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for students participating in the International Team Project: Thailand course at Northwestern University School of Law in the spring 2008 semester, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
For questions about this guide, contact Heidi Kuehl, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian and Coordinator of Educational Programming and Outreach (e-mail | (312) 503-4725)
This list provides detailed information on resources for the law and legal system. For other areas of country research, links are
provided to the relevant section of the law library's web site. Most materials cited are in English. Note that the English language
versions of foreign language websites do not always have the same content as the vernacular version.
Key to call number locations:
- I,REF = international reference area, 3rd floor
- R,REF = reference room, 2nd floor
- REF = shelving area under grand staircase, 2nd floor
- D,USG = government documents shelving area, 3rd floor
- I,MON = international and comparative law books, 3rd floor
- I,PER = international periodicals, 2nd floor
- Asia Thai = the old call number for Thailand. Closed stacks, request materials.
- N,HTH = the new location symbol for Thailand, 3rd floor.
- General Resources by Country or Region The resources listed in this section, both print and online, together provide a great deal of information on the history, geography, government, economy, etc., of the countries of the world. See "Resources for more than one country or region." Also, under the heading "Resources by Country or Region," see the sub-topic "Asia."
Asian Studies Web Sites and Databases
- Asia-Studies Full-text Online. Full-text reports from research institutions on business, government, economic and social issues.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies . From the Association for Asian Studies at the University of Michigan. Western language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia published since 1971, on all subjects, especially in the humanities and social sciences.
Selected Web Sites for Thailand
Laws and Legal System
Foreign Law Guide: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World , by Thomas H. Reynolds and Arturo A. Flores ("Reynolds and Flores"). The single most important bibliographic resource for foreign law research. Includes introductory materials (in-depth discussion of the legal history and legal publication), major publications, and citations to official sources for laws on specific subjects. It also cites to unofficial sources for detailed discussion and/or English language translations.
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, ed. by Herbert M. Kritzer (ABC-CLIO, 2002). Short articles on each country (or non-jurisdictional legal system) place the legal system in context.
Thailand: vol. 4, pages 1614-1620.
I,REF K 48 .L44 2002
- "The Legal System of Thailand" by Marut Bunnag and Preben A.F. Aakesson, in Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia, vol. 9A.
I,REF K 48 .M62 1988
Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest.
The "digest" for each country (usually prepared by a leading law firm in the country) consists of detailed summaries of the law on selected substantive and procedural topics, arranged alphabetically. May cite to primary law.
Legal > Find Laws by Country or Region > Foreign Laws & Legal Sources > International Law Digests > Mardindale-Hubbell® Law Digest-Asian Law Digests > New Zealand Law Digest
- Guide to Law Online (Law Library of Congress)
- Asian LII-Thailand. Asian Legal Information Institute. Includes 2007 Constitution, as well as 2006 and 1997 constitutions.
- Thailand Law Forum
- Asia Law Online. Asian Law Centre, Melbourne Law School. A bilbiographic database.
- The Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand (Interim Edition) 2006 (unofficial English translation) is available in Constitutions of the Countries of the World as is the constitution of 1987. Also available in print.
I,MON K 3157 .A2B58 1971- v.18
- The Civil and Commercial Code, books I - VI and glossary. Thai and English.
N,HTH KPT 494.31982 .S52 1999
Finding Books at Northwestern University
Finding Books at Other Libraries
- WorldCat . WorldCat is a catalog with records from thousands of libraries. It can be used to identify materials not held by Northwestern University. Northwestern University students can place interlibrary loan requests either directly through WorldCat or via the interlibrary loan request form found on the library's home page.
Journal articles are published in a wide range of subject areas relating to country research, such as history, politics, economics, sociology, gender studies, and religion. In order to identify relevant articles it is best to search the various specialized indexes to which Northwestern University subscribes. The following pages of the library's web site list many such indexes. Once a relevant article is identified, it may be possible to access an electronic version of the text by clicking on the "Find It At NU" buttion," or by doing a journal title search in NUcat for the name of the journal (not the title of the article). When searching an index, an "advanced" search is often easier to use than the basic search. When you find a relevant article, clicking on the "descriptors" or "subject headings" for that record may lead you to other relevant citations.
News: General, Legal, and Business
Note that both Lexis and Westlaw allow you to create and save a search, to be run on a periodic basis, such as daily or weekly.
For links to tutorials, see the Research Alerts page of the library's web site. Always check scope notes (click on information icon) for dates of coverage. Not all publications are current.
Many organizations make it possible to monitor news by means of an RSS/XML ("Really Simple Syndication") feed. For information of setting up RSS feeds, see the Research Alerts: RSS Feeds section of the library's web site.
- Lexis .
- News: Asia Pacific
- News & Business
- Country and Region (excluding US)
- Asia Pacific
- New and Business: Thailand
- News & Business
- Country and Region (excluding US)
- Business and News: Thailand
- International/worldwide materials
- Asia and the Pacific Rim
- Individual Country Materials
- Business and News
Thailand: News and Media. Links to free Internet news sources listed in the Open Directory Project.
Bangkok Post (Registration required)
World News Connection . Provided to the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) by the Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS). Monitors non-U.S. media sources.
- Business News: Far East
- Business and News tab
- Global News
- Far East News
International Business Resources
- ABI/INFORM Business and management index. Citations and abstracts of articles from more than 1,300 journals, including over 350 English-language international sources. Full text articles from over 600 selected sources.Westlaw : ABI-INFORM (ABI/Inform (R) (DIALOG)) and ABI-INFORM Current (ABI/Inform (R) - Current (DIALOG))
- Business Source Premier "[P]rovides nearly 3,300 full text scholarly publications, including more than 1,000 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to the full text, this database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 4,100 journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more."
- GlobalEDGE (TM) Resource Desk. Michigan State University.
- See our web site's International Trade, Business, and Economic Law page.
Regional and International Organizations
Note: Thailand is not necessarily a member of all the organizations listed below. However, these web sites are good sources of information about Thailand.
Additional Resources for Selected Topics
- Criminal Justice
- Democracy in Transition
- International Political Science Abstracts . Citations and abstracts to English and non-English language periodicals throughout the world. Covers political science, public law, international law, and international relations.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts . Citations with abstracts from more than 1100 journals in political science and related disciplines. Coverage is international in scope.
- OxResearch Oxford Analytica, Ltd. Succinct analytical articles covering world and regional economic and political developments of major significance.
- Economic Development
- Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources
ECOLEX. World Conservation Union (IUCN). A database of imformation on environmental law.
FAOLEX. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. A legislative database on food, agriculture, and renewable natural resources.
- Human Rights
- Women's and Children's Issues