International Team Project: Thailand Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for students participating in the International Team Project: Thailand course at Northwestern University School of Law in the spring 2008 semester, by Irene Berkey, Foreign and International Law Librarian.
For questions about this guide, contact Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451)
Key to call number locations:
- I,REF = international reference area, 3rd floor
- R,REF = reference room, 2nd floor
- REF = shelving area under grand staircase, 2nd floor
- D,USG = government documents shelving area, 3rd floor
- I,MON = international and comparative law books, 3rd floor
- I,PER = international periodicals, 2nd floor
- Asia Thai = the old call number for Thailand. Closed stacks, request materials.
- N,HTH = the new location symbol for Thailand, 3rd floor.
Asian Studies Web Sites and Databases
- Asia-Studies Full-text Online. Full-text reports from research institutions on business, government, economic and social issues.
- Bibliography of Asian StudiesÂ . From the Association for Asian Studies at the University of Michigan. Western language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia published since 1971, on all subjects, especially in the humanities and social sciences.
Selected Web Sites for Thailand
Laws and Legal System
- Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia, ed. by Herbert M. Kritzer (ABC-CLIO, 2002). Short articles on each country (or non-jurisdictional legal system) place the legal system in context.
Thailand: vol. 4, pages 1614-1620.
I,REF K 48 .L44 2002
- "The Legal System of Thailand" by Marut Bunnag and Preben A.F. Aakesson, in Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia, vol. 9A.
I,REF K 48 .M62 1988
- Guide to Law Online (Law Library of Congress)
- Asian LII-Thailand. Asian Legal Information Institute. Includes 2007 Constitution, as well as 2006 and 1997 constitutions.
- Thailand Law Forum
- Asia Law Online. Asian Law Centre, Melbourne Law School. A bilbiographic database.
- The Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand (Interim Edition) 2006 (unofficial English translation) is available in Constitutions of the Countries of the WorldÂ as is the constitution of 1987. Also available in print.
I,MON K 3157 .A2B58 1971- v.18
- The Civil and Commercial Code, books I - VI and glossary. Thai and English.
N,HTH KPT 494.31982 .S52 1999
Finding Books at Northwestern University
Finding Books at Other Libraries
- WorldCat . WorldCat is a catalog with records from thousands of libraries. It can be used to identify materials not held by Northwestern University. Northwestern University students can place interlibrary loan requests either directly through WorldCat or via the interlibrary loan request form found on the library's home page.
News: General, Legal, and Business
- Lexis .
- News: Asia Pacific
- News & Business
- Country and Region (excluding US)
- Asia Pacific
- New and Business: Thailand
- News & Business
- Country and Region (excluding US)
- Business and News: Thailand
- International/worldwide materials
- Asia and the Pacific Rim
- Individual Country Materials
- Business and News
- Business News: Far East
- Business and News tab
- Global News
- Far East News
- Thailand: News and Media. Links to free Internet news sources listed in the Open Directory Project.
- Bangkok Post (Registration required)
- World News ConnectionÂ . Provided to the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) by the Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS). Monitors non-U.S. media sources.
International Business Resources
- ABI/INFORMÂ Business and management index. Citations and abstracts of articles from more than 1,300 journals, including over 350 English-language international sources. Full text articles from over 600 selected sources.Westlaw : ABI-INFORM (ABI/Inform (R) (DIALOG)) and ABI-INFORM Current (ABI/Inform (R) - Current (DIALOG))
- Business Source PremierÂ "[P]rovides nearly 3,300 full text scholarly publications, including more than 1,000 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to the full text, this database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 4,100 journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more."
- GlobalEDGE (TM) Resource Desk. Michigan State University.
- See our web site's International Trade, Business, and Economic Law page.
Regional and International Organizations
Note: Thailand is not necessarily a member of all the organizations listed below. However, these web sites are good sources of information about Thailand.
Additional Resources for Selected Topics
- Criminal Justice
- Democracy in Transition
- International Political Science AbstractsÂ . Citations and abstracts to English and non-English language periodicals throughout the world. Covers political science, public law, international law, and international relations.
- Worldwide Political Science AbstractsÂ . Citations with abstracts from more than 1100 journals in political science and related disciplines. Coverage is international in scope.
- OxResearchÂ Oxford Analytica, Ltd. Succinct analytical articles covering world and regional economic and political developments of major significance.
- Economic Development
- Environment/Land Use/Natural Resources
- Human Rights
- Women's and Children's Issues