International Team Project: Turkey Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for students participating in International Team Project: Turkey at Northwestern University School of Law in the spring 2006 semester.
Also use the Conduct Research portion of the law library web site. In particular, see the Foreign and Comparative and International sections. The law library does not collect materials in Turkish (unless included in a bilingual work). Materials in this checklist are in English, unless otherwise noted. For assistance obtaining Turkish language materials, consult Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451)
Key to call number locations:
All are in the Pritzker Legal Research Center (the law library)
- D,USG = government documents shelving area, 3rd floor
- I,MON = international and comparative law books, 3rd floor
- I,REF = international reference area, 3rd floor
- N,ETU = Turkey (new call number system), 3rd floor
- REF = shelving area under grand staircase, 2nd floor
- R,REF = reference room, 2nd floor
- Tur and MidE Tur = Turkey (old call number system), closed stacks, request at Circulation Desk.
General Country Information
- Country Page for Turkey. (U.S. Dept. of State, December 2005)
- World Factbook (U.S. Central Intelligence Agency)
- I,REF G 122 .U56a 2005
- Information on Turkey also available in the online version (Updated November 2005)
- Europa World Year book I,REF JN 1 .E84 2005
- Information on TurkeyÂ also available on the online version.
- Political Handbook of the World
- I,REF JF 37 .P63 2005/2006
- Country Profile Turkey (Federal Research Division, Library of Congress) (January 2006)
- Turkey, a Country Study. (Federal Research Division, Library of Congress; edited by Helen Chapin Metz, 5th ed. 1996).
- N,ETU DR 417 .T874 1996
- Also available on Internet.
- Country Profile (Embassy of Turkey)
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World
- New Encyclopaedia Britannica
- Additional useful sources of country information are accessible via our web site's Foreign Law and Country Information page, Country and Regional Information (Not Limited to Law) section.
Other web sites for Turkey
Laws and Legal System
Constitution and Constitutional Law
Finding Books on Turkey
- Szladits' Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law: Books and Articles in English. Through the supplement for 1989-90 it provided references to books, journal articles, and essays published in collections, in English. It included a section citing to the texts of laws (including constitutions) in translation, published in both books and articles. This index now covers only books, not periodical articles. Statutes are now usually excluded. Provides both geographic and subject approaches.
I,REF K 38 .S94 1955 and supplements
I,REF K 38 .S94 1990
I,REF K 38 .S94 1995/1996
I,REF K 38 .S94 1997/1998
- To find books at Northwestern University:
NUcat, the catalog of Northwestern University libraries, provides various ways to find books on a topic. These include searching by keyword (for which there are several methods) and searching by subject (using Library of Congress subject headings).
(Note: NUcat can be used to find out whether Northwestern owns a particular periodical in print and/or electronic format. If the journal is owned in electronic format, the NUcat record will include a link. However, NUcat is not used for finding articles within periodicals; for this use a periodical index, described in the following section.)
"Guided Search" tab: It is sometimes easiest to start with a "guided" search, using words or phrases that are likely to appear in the record for a relevant book. From the NUcat screen, click on the "Guided Search" tab. Guided searches allow you to search for words or phrases in specific parts of the bibliographic record (e.g., author, title, subject) or as keywords; to use connectors (e.g., and, or); and to limit your search (e.g., by location, date, language). The search screen is set up in such a way as to guide you through the search formulation process and minimize the amount of typing. Searching in "keyword anywhere" is usually the best.
"Search" tab: Keyword searching is also available under the "Search" tab by clicking on "Keyword" or "Keyword Phrase." You must formulate and type in the search, both terms and connector, yourself. Some examples of "Keyword" searches are:
constitution? and Turkey
Turkey and (law? or legal)
Once you have found a relevant book, you can look at the record in "long view" to find the Library of Congress subject headings for the book. You can then do a subject search by clicking on the link. This will sometimes retrieve additional relevant books that were not found by the keyword search. Or it may help to narrow a search that was too broad. You may also do a subject heading search from the "Search" tab by choosing "Subject Heading." An example of a Library of Congress subject heading is:
Note: Materials on the law of a particular country on a particular subject might be found either in books devoted to the jurisdiction or in materials devoted to the subject. An example of a work classified (i.e., shelved) by jurisdiction is:
Introduction to Turkish Law N, ETU KKX 70 .I58 2005
Examples of books and loose-leaf services, etc., on a specific subject, which include discussion of more than one jurisdiction:
Constitutions of the Countries of the World I,MON K 3157 .A2B58 1971-
Copyright Laws and Treaties of the World I,MON K 1419.2 1956-
Digest of Commercial Laws of the World I,MON K 1005.4 .D54 1996-
International Encyclopaedia for Labour Law and Industrial Relations I,MON K1705.4 .I58
- To find books at other libraries:
WorldCatÂ This international database contains records from thousands of libraries. Interlibrary loan requests for books may be placed directly from the WorldCat record.
I-Share. This database contains records for many Illinois libraries.
The library catalogs of many other institutions may be accessed via our law library catalogs and homepages page.
The following are indexes that can be searched to identify articles, etc., on a subject. In some instances, in addition to a bibliographic citation, a direct link to full text of the article will be provided. Often a "Find it at NU" button will lead to a full text electronic source. If no full text is identified, search NUcat by the title of the journal to see if the journal in which the article appears is owned in print format by Northwestern. If it is in the Main Library (or not held by Northwestern at all) you can submit an interlibrary loan request for the article. Note: before beginning to search any index, consult its "help" feature to be sure you are constructing an effective search.
Current Law Index R,REF K 33 .C87
LexisÂ : Legal Resource Index (LAWREV;LGLIND)
WestlawÂ : Legal Resource Index (LRI)
The most comprehensive periodical index for U.S. legal research, this index, which began in 1980, can also be used to find articles on international and comparative law topics. It covers more than 850 journals from the United States, Canada, Great Britain, New Zealand, and Australia.
- Current Index to Legal Periodicals (most recent five issues)
Current Index to Legal Periodicals R,REF K33 .C865
WestlawÂ : CILP database (most recent eight issues)
A current awareness service, published weekly by the University of Washington law library. More up-to-date than LegalTrac.
- Index to Foreign Legal PeriodicalsÂ
Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals I,REF K 33 .I529
An index of articles and book reviews appearing in more than 550 selected legal periodicals, most of which are published outside of the United States, as well as the contents of collections of essays, dealing with international law (both public and private), comparative law, and the domestic law of countries worldwide. It does not attempt to cover the legal systems of the United States, the British Isles, and the British Commonwealth. The print edition covers 1960 onward; the web version covers 1985 onward.
Resources covering more than one topic in the social sciences and humanities
- PAIS International (1972 - present) and PAIS International Archive (1937-1976)
PAIS International in Print REF Z 7163 .P9223
Published by Public Affairs Information Service. Indexes and abstracts public and social policy literature published in over 120 countries. Includes such areas as economics, finance, law, education, the military, political science, public administration, international law and relations, the environment, and demography. The materials indexed include journal articles, books, reports of governmental, private, and intergovernmental organizations, statistical directories, research reports, conference reports, selected microfiche, and selected Internet resources originally published in English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese. This publication is the continuation of two earlier indexes, PAIS Bulletin (English language sources) and PAIS Foreign Language Index.
- CIAO: Columbia International Affairs OnlineÂ
Citations, abstracts, and selected full-text articles covering topics in international affairs, collected largely from university- and foundation-funded research institutes, non-governmental organizations, and academic conferences. Includes working papers, conference proceedings, journal and book abstracts, and links to related resources.
Short articles by Oxford Analytica in the areas of business and management, economics, and political science.
- EXAC (Expanded Academic ASAP)Â
An online index to articles in more than 1,000 periodicals covering the social sciences, the humanities, the sciences, and current affairs.
- Web of KnowledgeÂ
Web of Knowledge contains five individual databases, which may be searched separately or simultaneously: Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, Arts and Humanities Citation Index, Book Citation Index-Science, and Book Citation Index-Social Sciences and Humanities. Social Sciences Citation Index covers anthropology, history, industrial relations, law, linguistics, psychology, psychiatry, political science, public health, social issues, sociology, substance abuse, urban studies, women's studies.
FirstSearch includes a number of databases that index articles, papers, and proceedings in a variety of subject areas. A few of the individual databases are listed below. For FirstSearch databases, interlibrary loan requests for articles may be placed directly from the record, but check NUcat first.
Index of articles from 12,500 journals in business, the humanities, social sciences, popular culture, science, technology, and medicine, from 1990 onwards. Some entries have abstracts; some have full-text.
Index of papers presented at conferences.
Index of conference proceedings.
- Social Science Research NetworkÂ
A service providing scholarly research papers, working papers, and journals in numerous social science disciplines, including law, economics, and financial economics.
Dissertations Abstracts database. "Citations and abstracts for doctoral dissertations, and some master's theses, from accredited North American colleges and universities and some international universities." Available from the following:
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses: Full TextÂ
Entries for more than 2 million doctoral dissertations and master's theses. Dissertations published from 1980 forward include 350-word abstracts written by the author. Master's theses published from 1988 forward include 150-word abstracts. More than 600,000 dissertations and theses are available in native or image PDF formats for immediate free download.
- Dissertations Abstracts Online
WestlawÂ (DAO database).
(also see resources under General Country Information, above)
- NationMaster.com: Turkey
- OFFStats: Official Statistics on the Web.
From the University of Auckland Library, this site "lists web sites offering free and easily accessible social, economic and general data from official or similar 'quotable' sources, especially those that provide both current data and time series."
- ProQuest Statistical InsightÂ Indexes statistical information from a variety of sources, including the United States government, research firms, trade associations, university studies, and international agencies.
- Statistical DatasetsÂ Search for statistical information from more than 65 source organizations across 90 billion data points and 2 billion charts, maps, views, rankings, time series and tables.
News: General, Legal, and Business
Comprehensive lists of organizations
Selected Organizations (Turkey is not necessarily a member of each, but information on Turkey is available.)
Additional Resources for Selected Topics:
Art and Culture
- Web of KnowledgeÂ Select "Arts and Humanities Citation Index"
- Humanities AbstractsÂ "Bibliographic citations from more than 450 periodicals in topics such as archaeology, art, classics, film, folklore, journalism, linguistics, music, the performing arts, philosophy, religion, world history, and world literature. Records added since 1994 have abstracts, and many citations have links to the full text of the article."
Human Rights and Civil Rights
International Business and Economics
- See our web site's International Trade, Business, and Economic Law page.
Business and management index. Citations and abstracts of articles from more than 1,300 journals, including over 350 English-language international sources. Full text articles from over 600 selected sources.Westlaw : ABI-INFORM (ABI/Inform (R) (DIALOG)) and ABI-INFORM Current (ABI/Inform (R) - Current (DIALOG))
- Business Source PremierÂ
"[P]rovides nearly 3,300 full text scholarly publications, including more than 1,000 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to the full text, this database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 4,100 journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more."
Citations and selected abstracts to articles from more than 400 economics journals.
- The Internationalist: International Business. The Center for International Business and Travel.
- GlobalEDGE (TM) Resource Desk Michigan State University.
Land Use/Natural Resources
Religion and Religious Freedom
Women's and Children's Issues
- Women's Human Rights Resources (Bora Laskin Law Library, University of Toronto)
- Encyclopedia of Women & Islamic Cultures. Volume II: Family, Law & Politics (2005)
I,REF HQ 1170 .E53 2003