International Team Project: Uganda Research Checklist
This is a selective list of resources prepared for students participating in the International Team Project: Uganda course at Northwestern University School of Law in the spring 2003 semester.
Also use the Conduct Research portion of the law library web site. In particular, see the Foreign and Comparative and International sections.
Key to call number locations:
- Except for "Africana," all are in the Pritzker Legal Research Center (the law library)
- Africa Uganda = Uganda (old call number system), basement of the Coon Library; see librarian
- Africana = Melville J. Herskovits Library of African Studies, in the Northwestern University main library (Evanston)
- D,USG = government documents shelving area, 3rd floor of Rubloff
- I,MON = international and comparative law books, 3rd floor of Rubloff
- I,REF = international reference area, 3rd floor of Rubloff
- N,IUA = Uganda (new call number system), 3rd floor of Rubloff
- REF = shelving area under grand staircase, 2nd floor of Rubloff
- R,REF = reference room, 2nd floor of Rubloff
General Country Information
- Europa World Year Book I,REF JN 1 .E84 2004
Information on Uganda also available on the online version.
- Political Handbook of the World I,REF JF 37 .P63 2005/2006
- World Factbook I,REF G 122 .U56a 2004
Also available via the Internet.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica R,REF AE 5 .E363 2002
Information on Uganda also available through Encyclopaedia Britannica Online .
- Country Report. Mozambique, Uganda. The Economist Intelligence Unit.
AFRICANA (Large items) L 967.9005 C855
Also available via the Internet
- Country information on Uganda. From COMESA (Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
- Background Note: Uganda. U.S. Dept. of State. (last updated December 2004)
- Additional useful sources of country information are accessible via our web site's Foreign Law and Country Information page, Country and Regional Information (Not Limited to Law) section.
African Studies Web Sites and Databases
Laws and Legal System
- Reynolds and Flores. Foreign Law: Current Sources of Codes and Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World. Includes background on the legal system and legal publication, as well as citations to laws on particular topics and English language translations. An indispensable source for foreign law research.
Print copy shelved in Foreign Law Office.
Also available via the Internet .
- Paul P.J. Coester, "The Legal System of Uganda," in Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia, vol. 6, page 6.310. (Note: this chapter may be out-of-date.)
I,REF K 48 .M62 1988
- Guide to Law Online: Uganda. (Law Library of Congress) Includes links to both legal and non-legal resources.
- The constitution of Uganda is available in the Pritzker Legal Research Center in hard copy in Constitutions of the Countries of the World (loose-leaf format)
I,MON K 3157 .A2B58 1971 vol. 11
Also available electronically (Search for "Uganda" in "Location" box)
- The text of Uganda's constitution is also available from the Government of Uganada web site and from the Parliament of Uganda web site.
Finding Books on Uganda
Finding Articles: Legal Topics
- LegalTrac Current Law Index R,REF K 33 .C87Lexis : Legal Resource Index (LAWREV;LGLIND)Westlaw: Legal Resource Index (LRI) The most comprehensive periodical index for U.S. legal research, this index, which began in 1980, can also be used to find articles on international and comparative law topics. It covers more than 850 journals from the United States, Canada, Great Britain, New Zealand, and Australia.
- Current Index to Legal Periodicals (most recent five issues) Current Index to Legal Periodicals R,REF K33 .C865Westlaw : CILP database (most recent eight issues)
A current awareness service, published weekly by the University of Washington law library. More up-to-date than LegalTrac.
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals I,REF K 33 .I529
This index, which began in 1960, covers more than 550 selected legal periodicals, most of which are published outside of the United States, as well as collections of essays, dealing with international law (both public and private), comparative law, and the domestic law of countries worldwide. It does not attempt to cover the legal systems of the United States, the British Isles, and the British Commonwealth. The web version covers 1985 onward.
Finding Articles, Papers, Proceedings, etc.: Non-Legal Topics
Resources covering more than one topic
- PAIS International (1972 - present) and PAIS International Archive (1937-1976) PAIS International in Print REF Z 7163 .P9223
Published by Public Affairs Information Service. Indexes and abstracts public and social policy literature published in over 120 countries. Includes such areas as economics, finance, law, education, the military, political science, public administration, international law and relations, the environment, and demography. The materials indexed include journal articles, books, reports of governmental, private, and intergovernmental organizations, statistical directories, research reports, conference reports, selected microfiche, and selected Internet resources originally published in English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese.
- CIAO: Columbia International Affairs Online Citations, abstracts, and selected full-text articles covering topics in international affairs, collected largely from university- and foundation-funded research institutes, non-governmental organizations, and academic conferences. Includes working papers, conference proceedings, journal and book abstracts, and links to related resources.
- OxResearch Short articles by Oxford Analytica in the areas of business and management, economics, and political science.
- EXAC (Expanded Academic ASAP) An online index to articles in more than 1,000 periodicals covering the social sciences, the humanities, the sciences, and current affairs.
- Web of Science Contains three individual databases, which may be searched separately or simultaneously: Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts and Humanities Citation Index. Social Sciences Citation Index covers anthropology, history, industrial relations, law, linguistics, psychology, psychiatry, political science, public health, social issues, sociology, substance abuse, urban studies, women's studies.
- FirstSearch Includes a number of databases that index articles, papers, and proceedings in a variety of subject areas. A few of the individual databases are listed below:
- ArticleFirst Index of articles from 12,500 journals in business, the humanities, social sciences, popular culture, science, technology, and medicine, from 1990 onwards. Some entries have abstracts; some have full-text.
- Contemporary Women's Issues "Citations and full-text access to global information on women from journals, newsletters, and research reports."
- EconLit Citations and selected abstracts to articles from more than 400 economics journals.
- ProceedingsFirst Index of conference proceedings.
- Wilson Select Plus Citations, abstracts, and full-text articles from over 850 periodicals indexed in Reader's Guide Abstracts, Social Sciences Abstracts, Humanities Abstracts, General Science Abstracts, and Wilson Business Abstracts, 1994- .
Dissertations Abstracts database. "Citations and abstracts for doctoral dissertations, and some master's theses, from accredited North American colleges and universities and some international universities." Available from the following:
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses: Full Text Entries for more than 2 million doctoral dissertations and master's theses. Dissertations published from 1980 forward include 350-word abstracts written by the author. Master's theses published from 1988 forward include 150-word abstracts. More than 600,000 dissertations and theses are available in native or image PDF formats for immediate free download.
- Dissertations Abstracts OnlineWestlaw (DAO)
- LexisNexis Statistical Indexes statistical information from a variety of sources, including the United States government, research firms, trade associations, university studies, and international agencies.
- NationMaster.com: Uganda
- OFFStats: Official Statistics on the Web. From the University of Auckland Library, this site "lists web sites offering free and easily accessible social, economic and general data from official or similar 'quotable' sources, especially those that provide both current data and time series."
News: General, Legal, and Business
- Lexis . Choose from one of the following:
- Westlaw . Choose from one of the following:
International Business Resources
- See our web site's International Trade, Business, and Economic Law page.
- ABI/INFORM Business and management index. Citations and abstracts of articles from more than 1,300 journals, including over 350 English-language international sources. Full text articles from over 600 selected sources.Westlaw : ABI-INFORM (ABI/Inform (R) (DIALOG)) and ABI-INFORM Current (ABI/Inform (R) - Current (DIALOG))
- Business Source Premier "[P]rovides nearly 3,300 full text scholarly publications, including more than 1,000 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to the full text, this database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 4,100 journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more."
- The Internationalist: International Business. The Center for International Business and Travel.
- GlobalEDGE (TM) Resource Desk. Michigan State University.
- African Regional Organizations
- Other Organizations
Government Publications and Information
Additional Resources for Special Topics
- Art and Culture
- Web of Science Select "Arts and Humanities Citation Index"
- Humanities Abstracts "Bibliographic citations from more than 450 periodicals in topics such as archaeology, art, classics, film, folklore, journalism, linguistics, music, the performing arts, philosophy, religion, world history, and world literature. Records added since 1994 have abstracts, and many citations have links to the full text of the article."
- eHRAF Collection of Ethnography Human Area Relations Files. Yale University. Cross-cultural database on all aspects of cultural and social life, organized by culture and ethnic group.
- Criminal Justice
- Economic Development
- Human Rights
- Land Use/Natural Resources
- Recent History/Politics
- Women and Children's Issues