Finding Articles and Papers on Foreign or Comparative Law
The following resources can be used to identify articles (and sometimes other types of material) on various aspects of foreign or comparative law, and related topics. (See also our page Finding Articles and Papers on International Law)
Indexes or databases for U.S. legal periodicals (including articles on foreign and comparative law):
Indexes for most jurisdictions and comparative Law topics:
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals (IFLP) An index to selected periodicals and essay collections worldwide. Does not index periodicals that focus on United States or United Kingdom, but articles on these jurisdictions from other periodicals are included.
- Comparative Law (Max Planck Institute) An index of periodicals and collected volumes at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law. Materials are arranged by broad subject categories.
- Szladits' Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law: Books and Articles in English. Excludes Anglo-American legal systems. From 1955 to 1990 covers books and articles. From 1990 to 1998, covers books only. Has not been updated since 1998. (I,REF K 38 .S94 1990.) Also available via HeinOnline
Indexes for specific regions, jurisdictions, or legal systems
- Asian Law Online Asian Law Centre, Melbourne Law School. A bibliographic database of English language materials on Asian laws; it includes books, book chapters, journal articles, and theses.
European Union and European countries:
- Legal Journals Index (Westlaw: LJI). An index of articles in English from legal journals published in the United Kingdom and Europe as well as journals covering topics pertaining to the laws of the European Community and its member states .
- ECLAS. European Commission Libraries Catalogue. A bibliographic database of catalog records in the area of European affairs, as well as citations to periodical articles. Also includes links to Internet
- RAVE. An index to articles and decisions on public international law and European law. Links to WWW resources are provided.
Note: has not been continuously updated since 2004.
- Karlsruher Juristische Bibliographie. (I,MON K 38 .K37) An index of German legal journals and books. Indexes the contents of festschriften (collected works).
Religious legal systems:
- ATLA Religion Database Citations, abstracts and selected full text research literature covering topics in religion, including religious law.
- Catholic Periodical and Literature Index Online Citations to articles published in Roman Catholic periodicals, Papal documents, church promulgations, and books about the Catholic faith that are authored by Catholics and/or produced by Catholic publishers.
- Index Islamicus An index to literature on Islam, the Middle East and the Muslim world.
- RAMBI : Index to Articles on Jewish Studies A selective bibliography of articles in the various fields of Jewish studies and in the study of Eretz Israel .
- Legal Journals Index (Westlaw LJI) An index of articles in English from legal journals published in the United Kingdom and Europe as well as journals covering topics pertaining to the laws of the European Community and its member states.
- UK Law Journals (Lexis: ALLJNL)
Indexes For Non-Law (Interdisciplinary) topics
Non-law topics, all regions and subjects:
- PAIS International (1972 - present) and PAIS International Archive (1937-1976). An index to the literature on public policy, social policy, and the social sciences. Includes citations to books, documents, pamphlets, reports of public and private agencies, and periodical articles published throughout the world. Indexed materials are in the following languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Non-law topics, by region:
- Bibliography of Asian Studies Association for Asian Studies at the University of Michigan. Western language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia published since 1971, on all subjects, especially in the humanities and social sciences. Browse by Subject/Country, select country, then choose subject. (Note: "law" is a subheading under "politics & government".)
- Asia-Studies Full-text Online . Full-text reports from research institutions on business, government, economic and social issues.
- HAPI Online : Hispanic American Periodicals Index Provides citations to worldwide information about Central and South America, Mexico, the Caribbean basin, the United States-Mexico border region, and Hispanics in the United States.
- HLAS online (Handbook of Latin American Studies. Library of Congress. A selective, annotated bibliography of scholarly works on Latin America. Covers books, journal articles, book chapters, and conference papers in the disciplines of anthropology, art, economics, geography, government and politics, history, international relations, literature, music, philosophy, and sociology. Main Library Reference (non-circulating) 016.98 H236)
Non-law topics , by subject: