Selected web sites of the United Nations System
Indexes or full text sources for U.N. documents
- UN ODS (United Nations Official Documents System)
Full text of documents and official records issued at UN Headquarters and the UN Office at Geneva since 1993; documents issued at the UN Office at Vienna and at the Economic and Social Council for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) since 1997; resolutions and decisions in official record format of the General Assembly, the Security Council, the Economic and Social Council, and the Trusteeship Council since 1946. Note that document retrieval from this system seems to be most effective when the search is done by UN document symbol. If the document symbol is unknown, use UNBISnet, described below, to obtain the symbol, and then search UN ODS. Note, too, that in order to retrieve the final version of a resolution, you must do an "advanced search," rather than a "simple search," which will only search the UN documentation database (documents and preliminary versions of resolutions).
- UNBISnet. United Nations Bibliographic Information System. From the United Nations Dag Hammarskjold Library. The primary index to United Nations documentation published since 1979, or earlier for selected major documents. Also includes: the catalogue of the Dag Hammarskjold Library; voting records of resolutions adopted by the General Assembly (38th session, 1983- ) and Security Council (1946- ); speech citations for the main U.N. organs. Some links to full text are available, particularly to resolutions. Note: document symbols located in UNBISnet may be used to retrieve documents issued since 1993 from UN ODS.
- UN Documentation Centre
- UN-I-QUE (UN Info Quest). United Nations Dag Hammarskjold Library. Provides quick access to document symbols/sales numbers for UN materials. Focuses on documents and publications of a recurrent nature.
- AccessUN . This commercially-produced index, from Readex, provides access to UN documents and publications from 1944 onwards. Full-text of several thousand UN documents is also included.
- HeinOnline United Nations Law Collection . Includes United Nations and League of Nations treaty publications, Internatioanl Court of Justice publications, more than 50 texts the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), documents from the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS), United Nations Yearbooks, UN serials, a collection of publications focusing on the more precise formulation and systematization of rules of international law, documents from the United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research (UNIDIR), and more than 70 other United Nations-related works.
- Library of the United Nations Office at Geneva. Provides access to the library's online catalogue (OPAC).
- United Nations System Pathfinder. Identifies the major publications of the organizations comprising the United Nations system. Arranged by topic, such as economic development, international law, outer space.
- United Nations Scholars' Workstation. Yale University. "A collection of texts, finding aids, data sets, maps, and pointers to print and electronic information. Subject categories include disarmament, economic and social development, environment, human rights, international relations, international trade, peacekeeping, and population and demography."
For assistance please contact: Library Reference, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian (e-mail | (312) 503-8451)