Guides to Treaty Research
Treaty Collections, Databases, and Indexes
- United Nations Treaty Collection"Status of Multilateral Treaties Deposited with the Secretary-General" provides status charts, texts of reservations, etc., and a link to the full texts of treaties; also includes multilateral treaties formerly deposited with the League of Nations. "United Nations Treaty Series" includes, for bilateral and multilateral treaties registered with and published by the United Nations Secretariat , detailed treaty references and digitized full texts in all authentic language(s). Also "League of Nations Treaty Series" in digitized full text; "Treaty Handbook; other materials on United Nations treaty process and policies.
- Flare Index to Treaties. Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London. A "searchable database of basic information on over 2,000 of the most significant multilateral treaties and some bilateral treaties concluded between 1353 and the present, with details of where the full text of each treaty may be obtained in paper and, if available, electronic form on the internet." Bilateral treaties to 1815 only.
- Multilaterals Project. Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University. A searchable database of multilateral treaties and other international agreements, organized by subject.
- EISIL: Electronic Informations System for International Law. American Society of International Law. "EISIL has been designed as an open database of authenticated primary and other materials across the breadth of international law, which until now have been scattered in libraries, archives and specialized web sites."
- Environmental Treaties and Resource Indicators (ENTRI). A collaborative project, hosted at Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN), Columbia University. Multilateral environmental treaty data.
- Hague Conventions of Private International Law. Hague Conference on Private International Law.
- Private International Law. Office of the Legal Adviser, U. S. Department of State.
- European Treaty Series (ETS). Council of Europe.
- European Union Treaties.
- Inter-American Treaties (OAS). Organization of American States.
- Investment Instruments Online (UNCTAD): Searchable database of Bilateral Investment Treaties and International Investment Instruments relating to foreign direct investment and transnational corporations.
- ILOLEX Database of International Labour Standards. International Labour Organization.
- IMO Conventions. International Maritime Organization.
- WIPO-Administered Treaties. World Intellectual Property Organization.
- UNESCO Conventions. United Nations Educational, Social and Cultural Organization.
- UNIDROIT Conventions. United Nations Institute for the Unification of Private Law.
- World Treaty Index A beta version of an earlier print index, digitized and updated, under development. When complete the database is projected to include some 75,000 treaties covering the 20th century. The print Index, World Treaty Index, ed. Peter Rohn ((2nd ed, 1983) provides information on some 44,000 treaties, bilateral and multilateral, registered and unregistered, from 1900 and 1980.
Int 82 ZR73w 1983 vols. 1-5
U. S. Department of State Treaty Materials