Pritzker Legal Research Center primarily serves the faculty, students, and staff of the Northwestern University School of Law, and it is a private facility. The library strives to provide collections, facilities, and services that support the scholarly mission of the Northwestern School of Law. To foster an environment conducive to study and research, all users are expected to abide by the library's policies and guidelines, including the following:
- Under the library's access policy, the library grants temporary and revocable access privileges to certain groups of users whose needs meet the secondary missions of the library. It is the responsibility of visitors to provide credentials to prove that they meet the access criteria.
- Upon each entry, approved visitors must provide valid photo identification and credentials proving they meet the access criteria and sign in at the circulation desk.
- Disruptive behavior is detrimental to the library's mission and to staff and patron safety and can result in immediate forfeiture of library privileges. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Failing or refusing to sign in and show proper credentials each time the library is entered;
- Abusing, threatening, or intimidating library staff or patrons through language or actions;
- Disturbing students or staff by unwanted advances, questioning, or solicitation of legal advice;
- Using library telephones or other equipment, entering staff areas of the library, or talking on cell phones in the library;
- Exhibiting signs of drunkenness or other substance abuse.
- Users who have been granted access on the grounds of their need to use the library's government depository collection shall only use government depository materials while in the library.
- Users may not remain in the library after closing without prior approval. Being in unauthorized areas of the library or remaining in the library during emergency evacuations or drills is prohibited.
- Users must respect the library materials, furniture, and equipment. Removal or attempted removal of library materials or property without checking them out or without authorization is also prohibited.
- Smoking or using smokeless tobacco is prohibited in all areas of the library.
- Library staff holds the right to search possessions when the security gate alarm has been activated upon exit.
Persons who violate any one of these policies may lose their privileges to use the Pritzker Legal Research Center, may be removed by University Police, may be subject to Northwestern University disciplinary actions, and/or be subject to criminal prosecution or other legal action, as appropriate.