Accelerated LLM Frequently Asked Questions

Does the completion of the accelerated LLM program enable the graduate to sit for the bar exam?
Graduates of Northwestern Law's accelerated LLM program may now qualify to take the California Bar Exam. While the Law School does not guarantee bar exam eligibility to accelerated LLM students for any state, the California State Bar has notified Northwestern Law that the current accelerated LLM program will qualify a student to take the California Bar Exam.

Along with other courses in the accelerated LLM program, students must satisfactorily complete the program's Professional Responsibility course to meet California Bar Exam eligibility requirements.

Please refer to the Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements for more information on bar exam eligibility requirements for any state.

Can I complete the program in two summers?
In addition to completing the program in one summer, students also have the option of completing the program in two summers. Students, however, must begin the program in May of the starting year.

How can I contact the accelerated LLM Program?
For general inquiries, please e-mail

How many credits are required for the LLM degree?
All students must successfully complete 20 hours of coursework.

What degree will I earn?
Graduates will earn an LLM degree from Northwestern Law.

When will I be notified of Admissions decision?
Admissions decisions will be made on a rolling basis and candidates will be notified by email.

Does the LLM program require interviews?
Interviews are highly recommended. To schedule a phone or Skype interview, please contact the department at or by phone at (312) 503-0725.

Will a deposit be required to reserve my seat?
Yes, a $750 deposit is required, 30 days after you have received your acceptance notification.

Does Northwestern Law provide housing?
Northwestern Law does not provide housing; however, we can provide you with resources to assist you with your search.

Will I need a Visa?
Yes, all non-U.S. residents will require an F1 visa in order to participate in the program. Please see the visa information page for further details.

Contact Information
More questions? Simply contact our office:
(312) 503-0725