International LLM Students
The Career Strategy Center and the dedicated International LLM career adviser can assist you in developing your individual job search strategy. However, it is necessary for all students to work diligently on their own job search, making contacts with employers, pursuing opportunities and following up on all possibilities.
The Career Center sponsors a number of programs throughout the year for LLM students. In addition, LLM students may take advantage of Northwestern Law's Job Posting Database.
Programs for International LLM Students
- Resume and Cover Letter Workshop
- Career Research and Networking
- U.S. Style Interviews
- LLM Etiquette Dinner
- Mock Interview Program
Northwestern international LLM students participate in two off campus job fairs:
- International Student Interview Program (ISIP), New York, NY
- West Coast International LLM Job Fair, Los Angeles, CA
Bar Exam Information
- Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements (pdf)
See specifically Chart 4: Eligibility to Take the Bar Examination: Foreign Law School Graduates
- New York State Board of Law Examiners
- Illinois Board of Admissions to the Bar
Federal Employment Policy for Non-U.S. Citizens
As a general rule, non-U.S. citizens cannot be compensated by the federal government for positions located in the continental United States. For more information, please consult with the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.