Frederic P. Vose Chair
The Vose Chair was established in 1966 through a bequest from Lucy Mason Vose in memory of her husband, a Chicago attorney and member of the class of 1894.
Recipients: Nathaniel L. Nathanson, 1966-77; Marshall S. Shapo, 1978-
John Henry Wigmore Chair
In 1966, The John Henry Wigmore Chair was established in honor of Dean Wigmore, a member of the faculty from 1893 until his death in 1943, and dean from 1901 to 1929.
Recipients: John Ritchie III, 1966-72; Fred E. Inbau, 1974-77; Ian R. Macneil, 1980-92; Ronald J. Allen, 1992-
Edna B. and Ednyfed H. Williams Memorial Professorship of Law
This professorship was established in 1969 through a bequest from Mrs. Williams in honor of her husband, a member of the class of 1909.
Recipients: Brunson MacChesney, 1970-77; Jon R. Waltz, 1978-96; Paul Robinson, 1997-2002 ; Steven Lubet, 2007-
Owen L. Coon Chair of Law
The Owen L. Coon Foundation established this chair in 1974 in honor of Mr. Coon, a 1919 graduate of the Law School. Mr. Coon, who founded the Coon Foundation in 1946, was chairman of the board of General Finance Corporation at the time of his death in 1948. The Coon Foundation's philanthropy includes the endowment of numerous chairs, scholarships, buildings and programs at Northwestern and the Law School.
Recipients: James A. Rahl, 1974-88; John P. Heinz, 1988-2007; Jim Pfander, 2010-
William W. Gurley Memorial Professorship of Law
This professorship was established in 1975 through a bequest from Helen K. Gurley in memory of her father, a distinguished member of the Chicago Bar and general counsel to a number of major business firms.
Recipients: Harry B. Reese, 1976-91; David S. Ruder, 1994-
Beatrice Kuhn Professor of Law
The Beatrice Kuhn Chair was established in 1987 by Neil G. Bluhm, a 1962 graduate of the Law School, who named the chair in memory of his mother. Mr. Bluhm is president of JMB Realty Corporation in Chicago, which he helped form in 1968. He is also a member of the University's Board of Trustees.
Recipients: Richard E. Speidel, 1987-2003; Lee Epstein, 2006-08; Jonathan Koehler, 2010-
Louis and Harriet Ancel Chair in Law and Public Policy and Louis and Harriet Ancel Research Fund
This chair was established in 1987 through a gift from Louis and Harriet Ancel. Mr. Ancel graduated from the Law School in 1931 and was an expert in municipal law and a partner in the Chicago firm of Ancel, Glink, Diamond, Murphy & Cope. In 1988, the Ancels established the Ancel Research Fund to support the Ancel Chair-holder in research, lectures, and conferences exploring issues of state and local government and the relationship of state and local governments to the federal government.
Recipients: Carol M. Rose, 1988-89; Martin H. Redish, 1990-
Nathaniel L. Nathanson Chair
The Nathanson Chair was established in 1988 by gifts from numerous alumni, friends, businesses and organizations to honor the memory of the longest-serving professor in the Law School's history, Nathaniel L. Nathanson. Professor Nathanson was a member of the full-time faculty from 1936 to 1977 and Frederic P. Vose Professor of Law from 1966 to 1983. Nathanson left a legacy of seminal legal scholarship, exemplary public service, and leadership in the cause of civil liberties.
Recipients: Victor G. Rosenblum, 1988-2002; Robert W. Bennett, 2002-
Howard J. Trienens Chair
In 1989, partners of the law firm of Sidley & Austin established the Howard J. Trienens Chair and the Howard J. Trienens Visiting Judicial Scholar Program in honor of Mr. Trienens' service to the firm and to Northwestern. Mr. Trienens is a partner at Sidley & Austin and former chairman of its executive committee. He received his bachelor's and juris doctor degrees from Northwestern (Law School class of 1949), has served as a member of the University's board of trustees since 1967, and formerly chaired the University's board.
Recipients: Michael J. Perry, 1990-97; Shari Seidman Diamond, 2001-
Judd and Mary Morris Leighton Chair and Judd and Mary Morris Leighton Research Fund
This chair and fund were established in 1989 by Judd and Mary Morris Leighton. Mr. Leighton, a member of the class of 1947, is retired from positions including chairman and chief executive officer of Benicia Industries Inc., and as a director from several corporate boards.
Recipients: Anthony D'Amato, 1990-
Kirkland & Ellis Chair and Kirkland & Ellis Research Fund
In 1989, this chair and fund were established by donors including the Kirkland & Ellis Foundation in Chicago and a number of Northwestern Law alumni with ties to the firm.
Recipients: Daniel D. Polsby, 1990-99; Dorothy E. Roberts, 2001-12; David A. Dana, 2013-
Class of 1967 James B. Haddad Chair
In 1992, members of the class of 1967 and other alumni established this chair in honor of James B. Haddad, a member of the class of 1967 who served on the Law School faculty from 1969 until his death in 1992. Professor Haddad was an expert in the fields of criminal law, criminal procedure, and evidence, and was regularly honored by students for his excellence in teaching. In addition to the permanent chair-holders named below, the Haddad Chair has been awarded on a temporary basis to visiting scholars.
Recipients: John J. Donohue III, 1994-95; Fred S. McChesney, 1999-2011; Thomas F. Geraghty, 2012-
Elizabeth Froehling Horner Chair in Law and Commerce
This chair was established in 1992 by Robert Dale Horner, a 1948 graduate of the Law School, as a memorial tribute to his wife, who was also a Northwestern graduate. Mr. Horner was a senior executive and member of the board of directors of the Glidden Company.
Recipient: Kenneth W. Abbott, 1993-2005
John Paul Stevens Professorship
This professorship was established in 1992 as a tribute to the Honorable John Paul Stevens, associate justice of the Supreme Court, by several of Stevens' classmates from the class of 1947.
Recipients: Thomas F. Merrill, 1993-2003; Andrew Koppelman, 2007-
Raoul Berger Chair in Legal History
Raoul Berger established this chair in 1992. Berger graduated from the Law School in 1935, after a previous career as a concert violinist. He became one of America 's foremost legal historians, and from 1971 to 1976 Berger was Charles Warren Senior Fellow in American Legal History at Harvard University. He authored seven books and more than one hundred articles before his death in 2000.
Recipients: Stephen B. Presser, 1992-
Mayer Brown/Robert A. Helman Professorship of Law
Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw created this professorship in 2005 to honor Robert A. Helman, longtime partner and leader at the firm and a 1956 graduate of the Law School.
Recipients: David J. Scheffer, 2006-
Nicholas D. Chabraja Professorship of Law and Business
Nicholas D. Chabraja established this chair in 2009. Nicholas Chabraja, also a 1964 alumnus of Northwestern University's Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences, and an alumnus of the Law School since 1967. From 1997 until this June 2009, Nick served as General Dynamics' Chief Executive Officer and became the longest-serving chief executive among the nation's top five defense contractors.
Recipients: Bernard Black, 2010-
J. Landis Martin Professorship of Law and Business
J. Landis Martin established this professorship in 2002. Martin is a 1973 Law School graduate whose service to Northwestern includes membership on the Law Board and the University's Board of Trustees. Martin is chairman, CEO and president of Titanium Metals Corporation in Denver, Colo.
Recipients: Robert Peroni, 2002-03; Frank Cross, 2004-05; Michael Davis, 2005-06; Emerson Tiller, 2008-
George C. Dix Professorship in Constitutional Law
This chair was established in 1998 by the estate of Irmgard Dix in honor of her husband, a member of the class of 1928.
Recipients: Steve Calabresi, 1998-01 and 2004-10; Robert Bennett 2001-02; Andrew Koppelman, 2002-03; John McGinnis, 2010-
Clayton J. and Henry R. Barber Professorship
This chair was established in 2013 in honor of Clayton J. Barber, a 1904 graduate of the Law School, and Henry R. Barber, a 1933 graduate of the Law School.
Recipients: Steve Calabresi, 2013-
Howard and Elizabeth Chapman Professorship
This chair was established in 2013 by Howard and Elizabeth Chapman. Howard Chapman is a 1958 graduate of the Law School. The Chapman Professorship is focused in the areas of business law, trial advocacy, trust or estate law.
Recipients: Matthew Spitzer, 2013-