Faculty Support Team
Faculty Assistant Direct Support
Each faculty member at Northwestern University School of Law is matched with a faculty assistant committed to providing ongoing instructional and professional support. Please visit the faculty assignment list for contact information.
Faculty may count on their designated assistants for a wide range of instructional support:
- Course material preparation
- Canvas assistance
- A/V and classroom equipment requests
- Ordering books
- Ordering office supplies
- Reserving spaces for meetings and events
- Classroom seating charts
- Clerkship letter assistance
- Submitting events to the faculty calendar
- Proctoring exams
as well as professional support:
- Travel arrangements and reimbursements
- Event coordination and preparation
- Formatting or editing documents for publication
- Professional membership renewals
Some faculty members receive an annual allocation to support their research needs. Funds are deposited at the beginning of an appointment or at the start of each fiscal year. Most costs that directly support research or professional development may be reimbursed via research account dollars.
Here is a summary of the law school’s policy on allowable and unallowable charges for research accounts:
- Membership dues and conference fees
- Research and conference-related expenses (please see university travel policy (pdf))
- Research assistants
- Books and media relevant to research
- Special or larger-scale postage and shipping
- Article reprints
- Software, data sets, and items related to secondary computing equipment (please see faculty computing policies for approval process) Note: Computing equipment purchased independently will not be reimbursed. All computing equipment purchases using current fiscal year research funds must be finalized by July 31st, 2015.
These expenses are generally unallowable. Exceptions may be granted with the completion of an exception form and/or prior approval depending on business purpose.
- Food or beverages for/with students or a class
- Food or beverages for/with RAs
- Local meals, parking, or transportation during regular working hours
- Meals exceeding $65 per attendee, including tax and gratuity
- Expenses unrelated to your own professional development
- Computing equipment and peripherals for use in home or at an office located outside the law school (please see faculty computing policies)
All receipts should be forwarded for processing within 90 days of the transaction, and all meal receipts should be itemized. Tax charges are not reimbursable on independently purchased retail goods: please check with your faculty assistant when considering non-NU preferred vendors for a purchase.
If you have any questions about allowable or unallowable expenses, please contact your faculty assistant.
Faculty are encouraged to seek external grant funding to support their research needs. Please contact Kate Schulte if you are interested in pursuing grant funding.