For Potential Sponsors
On behalf of Northwestern University School of Law’s Student Funded Public Interest Fellowship (SFPIF) program, we would like to request your firm's support as a sponsor for the current school year. Established in 1985, SFPIF is a student-run organization dedicated to providing qualified Northwestern Law students with grants to work in the public interest sector over the summer.
As an annual sponsor, your firm will receive direct access to the largest student organization on campus. Not only will your firm receive multiple sponsorship benefits, but you will provide future lawyers with needed support for public service and legal training. In these uncertain economic times, many more students are looking to develop their legal skills in the public sector before entering private practice. Sponsoring SFPIF is your firm’s opportunity to showcase your commitment to public service and develop a personal relationship with students who will become strong assets to your firm and your local community in the near future.
What is SFPIF?
- First and second-year students go through a rigorous application and volunteering process to receive grants.
- Selected students work for non-profit and government organizations all over the world, ranging from the Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago to the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
- SFPIF has increased the number of grants each year from only three (3) in 1985 to fifty-one (51) in 2009!
How does SFPIF work?
- The overwhelming majority of money goes directly to student grants, while a small portion of contributions funds SFPIF events that raise more money for grants.
- Student-led committees plan and execute all events. This year’s events will include:
Annual Auction – An exciting cap to Northwestern’s popular Public Interest Law Week! Students, professors, and Chicago attorneys come together for this entertaining night of bidding and socializing. Last year, this event had over 300 attendees and raised over $30,000.
Barrister’s Ball – The Ball is Northwestern Law’s formal dance. The school steps out in its finest, and SFPIF runs the show. Last year, we sold over 300 tickets to students and their guests.
Pledge Drive – Students pledge one day of their summer work earnings to SFPIF; some firms match these gifts.
Annual Alumni Public Service Benefit Dinner – SFPIF honors and thanks alumni who have devoted their lives to public interest. Many alumni, faculty, community members, and students attend this inspiring event.
Will you sponsor SFPIF this year? Please see our attached sponsorship form, or contact Gail Schnitzer for more information. Thank you for your time and consideration.