General Resources by Country or Region
This is a selective list of resources for country research that is not limited to legal topics. The emphasis is on online resources, but important print resources are included as well. For research on legal topics see the page Foreign and Comparative Law by Country or Region.
Foreign Governmental web sites
- Foreign GovernmentsNorthwestern University Library, Government and Geographic Information and Data Services Department. Links to official web sites of national governments.
- Foreign Governments University of Michigan, Government Documents Center.
- Government Gazettes Online University of Michigan, Government Documents Center. “This website attempts to list all online government gazettes and their characteristics to aid researchers.”
Resources for more than one country or region
Comprehensive reference sources
- Europa World Year Book Online Political and economic information on more than 250 countries and territories. Includes statistical information. Also covers international organizations.
- Political Handbook of the World Information on government and politics in countries worldwide, including information on political parties and groups. Also covers intergovernmental organizations.
- Statesman’s Yearbook. Key information and statistics on countries of the world. Also covers international organizations.
I,REF JA 51 .S7
- World Factbook. U. S. Central Intelligence Agency. Brief country information and statistics on a variety of topics.
I,REF G 122 .U56a
U.S. Department of State resources
- Background Notes. By country, information on the people, history, government, political conditions, economy, foreign relations, US. relations, travel/business.
- Countries and Regions. A portal to State Department web pages for country and regional information, State Department contacts, travel information, etc.
- Country Reports on Human Rights Practices.
U.S. Library of Congress resources
- Country Studies. The electronic versions of a series of books, published between 1988 and 1998, providing "background analysis on a country's history, geography, society, economy, political system, foreign policy, and national security." Print editions are held by the law library.
- Country Profiles. These updated reports provide "brief, summarized information on a country’s historical background, geography, society, economy, transportation and telecommunications, government and politics, and national security."
- Congressional Research Reports. Reports made by the Congressional Research Service for the use of Congress are selectively available. Sources include: ProQuest Congressional Research Digital Collection (select “CRS Reports”); Academic One File ; Open CRS
Other sources for country profiles and information:
Business and political climate--specialized resources
- Economist Intelligence Unit . From a leading research and advisory firm, a database of international business intelligence, including commercial, financial, investment, and trade information on more than 200 countries.
- ISI Emerging Markets . Business news and intelligence, and company, industry, financial, economic and political information from emerging market countries. Includes legal and regulatory information.
- Freedom in the World. Freedom House. "A comparative assessment of global political rights and civil liberties."
I,MON JC 571 .F66
- Index of Economic Freedom. The Heritage Foundation and the Wall Street Journal. Measures and ranks countries on ten economic factors, such as property rights and tax rates.
- Nations in Transit. Freedom House. A "comprehensive, comparative, and multidimensional study of reform in the former Communist states of Europe and Eurasia."
N,EAA JN 96 .A58N38
Comprehensive World Wide Web portal
Resources by country or region
- Asian Studies: WWW Virtual Library. Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, Australian National University.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies. This is an index to the literature on "all subjects," especially in the social sciences and humanities, pertaining to East, South, and Southeast Asia. It includes citations to articles from over 100 periodicals, as well as book chapters and conference proceedings, 1971- (monographs 1971-1991).