Franklin Thompson

Confused, debilitated suspect falsely confessed to a murder

Franklin Thompson, a decorated Vietnam veteran with a debilitating narcotics addiction, was convicted in 1997 of the murder three and a half years earlier of Jacqueline Oaki, a 41-year old prostitute in Joliet, Illinois.

At 3:30 a.m. on February 6, 1994, police were dispatched to the home of Robert Ezell in response to a 911 call in which a woman could be heard screaming for help. When their knocks went unanswered, the police broke down the door and handcuffed Ezell, who said his nephew had been playing with the phone and must have accidentally dialed 911. After looking around and seeing no sign of foul play, or of a woman, or, for that matter, of a nephew, the police removed the handcuffs and left.

About two hours later, Oaki's body was discovered by a Joliet police officer in a school parking lot. She had been severely beaten and run over by a car. Investigators soon learned that she had been at a party at the home of James Culpepper the evening before her death. Police interviewed the known party guests, among whom was Franklin Thompson. He told police that, at some point during the party, he had driven Oaki to her parents' home, where she had picked up $20. When they returned, Oaki had used the money to buy crack cocaine from Culpepper.

Ezell, who had not been at the party, was not interviewed again until five months later, when he refused to identify the woman whose voice was heard during the 911 call. At that point, police played a tape of the call for Oaki's sister and mother, who identified the voice as Oaki's. Despite the evidence suggesting that Ezell might know something about the murder, the investigation fell dormant. It was not revived until two years later when Brian Lewis, the officer who had found Oaki's body in the school parking lot, was assigned to the homicide-investigation unit of the Joliet Police Department. Lewis asked Thompson to come to the police station to discuss the case, and he agreed. Lewis waved a file folder in front of Thompson, declaring that it contained overwhelming evidence that he had run over Oaki.

Thompson, whose drug addiction had recently cost him a well-paying factory job he had held for 25 years, wrote and signed this statement placing himself at the murder scene but portraying Oaki's death as accidental. Two weeks later, based solely on the statement, a Will County grand jury returned an indictment charging Thompson with first-degree murder and alleging that he had run over Oaki with his 1991 Pontiac Sunbird.

At Thompson's trial in September 1997, state forensic experts acknowledged that they had found no physical evidence linking him to the crime. His DNA was not present. He was excluded as the source of hairs recovered from her clothing. Tire prints at the scene did not match the tires on his Sunbird. Nonetheless, a jury found Thompson guilty and he was sentenced to 24 years in prison by Will County Circuit Court Judge Stephen D. White.

After the Third District Illinois Appellate Court affirmed Thompson's conviction and sentence in 1999, Thompson's family contacted the Center on Wrongful Convictions. Center staff counsel Jane E. Raley filed a post-conviction petition, which Judge White denied. While an appeal was pending, Raley also sought a pardon based on innocence, which Governor George H. Ryan granted on January 11, 2003.

Case Data

Jurisdiction: Will County, Illinois
Date of crime: February 6, 1994
Date of arrest: October 2, 1996
Charge: First-degree murder
Sentence: 24 years
Release date: January 11, 2003
Months wrongfully incarcerated: 75
Date of birth: July 14, 1948
Age at time of arrest: 48
Gender: Male
Race: African American
Age(s) of victim(s): 41
Gender of victim(s): Female
Race of victim(s): African American
Defendant prior felony record: None
Known factors leading to wrongful conviction: Coerced confession
Did an appellate court ever affirm conviction? Yes
Exonerated by: Gubernatorial pardon
Compensation for wrongful imprisonment: Pending