Informants and Incentivized Witnesses
Proposals to prevent wrongful convictions:
- Electronic recording of law enforcement discussions with witnesses.
- Electronic recording of jailhouse conversations betweeen informants and suspects
- Strict enforcement of discovery rules, including disclosure of promises of leniency, cash, or anything else of value in exchange for witnesses' cooperation.
- Pretrial hearings on the reliability of informant testimony.
- Amendment of the Illinois informant testimony statute to apply to all criminal prosecutions.