Course Details

International Securities Law

This is a survey course exploring international securities regulation and enforcement. The course will focus on American regulation of foreign issuers; foreign securities offerings; foreign securities professionals; the sale of U.S.-based securities to foreign investors; and the cooperation and coordination among and between international securities regulators. These issues will be explored both from a legal and from a policy perspective. To do so, we will draw upon statutes, regulatory enactments, judicial precedent, proclamations of international securities bodies, and scholarly writing. There are no prerequisites for this course. A prior course in securities regulation or enforcement may be helpful but is not required, as the necessary foundational readings in basic securities law are included in the initial assignments (and students are strongly encouraged to ask questions about any legal principles or business concepts with which they are not familiar). Evaluation Method: Class discussion is an essential element of this course. Participation in these discussions - which necessitate reading the assigned material prior to class - is a major factor in the final grade (25%). The remainder of the grade (75%) will be a take-home final exam. Class Materials: Readings will be made available online. You might find it helpful to consult the following textbook, which is available on Westlaw: J. William Hicks, INTERNATIONAL DIMENSIONS OF U.S. SECURITIES LAW (West 2011 ed.) (Hicks).

Catalog Number: BUSCOM 663


Course History

Spring 2017
Title: International Securities Law
Faculty: Polish, Jonathan Stephen
Section: 1     Credits: 2.0
Capacity: 25     Actual: 9

Spring 2015
Title: International Securities Law
Faculty: Polish, Jonathan Stephen
Section: 1     Credits: 2.0
Capacity: 25     Actual: 9