Programs and Statistics

Do you have any joint degree programs?
Yes, Northwestern Law offers a variety of joint degree programs. Formally, we have both a JD-PhD program with The Graduate School and a JD-MBA program with the Kellogg School of Management. We also offer two JD-LLM programs: A JD-LLM in International Human Rights and a JD-LLM in Taxation

Do you have a part-time or evening program?
No. We only offer full-time day classes.

Where can I find a copy of Northwestern's Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics?
As provided by the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990, now known as the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, you are entitled to request and receive a copy of Northwestern University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This Report includes statistics for the previous 3 years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Northwestern University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from campus. The Report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies on drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this Report by contacting the Northwestern University Police Department Deputy Chief at (847) 491-3256. The Report can also be accessed and printed from the University Police website.

[ back to top ]


Do you accept the February LSAT for admission?
Yes; however, we cannot guarantee that seats in the incoming class will still be available.

If I take the LSAT more than once, will you take the highest score or the average of the scores?
Northwestern Law’s policy is to review the highest score earned on the LSAT.

For how long is my LSAT score valid?
According to the Law School Admission Council, LSAT scores are valid for five (5) years.

[ back to top ]


How can I obtain an application for admission?
You may apply online. If you would like to request a pdf version of our application, please send an email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu.

How do I request an application fee waiver?
We are offering application fee waivers to all JD applicants who submit an application from September 15, 2015 to November 30, 2015. You can find more information about this process on our Apply page. After November 30, 2015, applicants may submit an application for a need-based application fee waiver. Each year we also offer fee waivers through LSAC's Credential Referral Service. In order to be considered, be sure to check the CRS box when registering your LSAC account. If LSAC has provided you with a fee waiver, please email us a copy of that letter with your request for a fee waiver specifically from Northwestern Law.

Are deferrals granted?
One-year deferrals are granted on a case-by-case basis. Historically, the Committee has granted a deferral for compelling reasons, such as unforeseen hardships or extraordinary opportunities. 

Do you accept visiting students?
Yes, students currently enrolled in another law school that is part of the Association of American Law Schools may apply to be a visiting student at the Law School.

What if I have Character and Fitness questions?
Each state has character and fitness and other qualifications for admission to the bar. Prior to matriculation, all applicants should consult the bar admission authorities in the state in which he or she intends to practice law to determine these requirements. Information about the requirements for admission to the bars of various states is available from the American Bar Association.

[ back to top ]


How do I request an interview? 
You can find more information about requesting an admissions interview here

Can I interview before I’ve submitted my application?
On-campus and Online interviews can be completed before or after you have submitted an application. You must submit an application to request an off-campus interview.

I've indicated that I do not intend to interview on my application, but have changed my mind. What should I do?
You must write to our office at admissions@law.northwestern.edu indicating that you want your application held until your interview occurs. Failure to inform us in writing may result in an admissions decision prior to your interview. 

I am thinking of applying in a year or two. Should I schedule an interview if I'm not applying this cycle?
You should interview only in the year you are submitting an application. If you have questions about law school more generally, or have questions about applying, please contact the Admissions Office directly and we will respond to your questions.

Can I interview multiple times?
Applicants are not allowed to interview more than once per cycle unless otherwise indicated by the Admissions Office. 

I scheduled an on-campus interview. Can I get reimbursed for the travel expenses?
Unfortunately, we do not provide reimbursement for expenses associated with interviewing.

Can I interview over the weekend?
At this point in time, we can only offer interviews Monday through Friday during business hours. 

What should I wear to an interview?
You should consider this interview like a job interview, so dress professionally and bring a copy of your resume.

I need to cancel my off-campus interview. Do I need to tell anyone?
Yes. If you have received your interview assignment, your interviewer is awaiting an email or phone call from you to set up a time to meet. If you need to cancel, you must email both the interviewer and the Admissions Office so that we can relinquish your spot to another candidate.

I'm applying as a transfer student. Should I sign-up for an interview?
Transfer applicants do not formally interview as part of the application process. Please do not schedule an on-campus or Skype interview. If the Admissions Committee has questions while reviewing your application over the summer, you will be contacted directly. 

[ back to top ]

Financial Aid

If admitted, will scholarship information be included?
No. All financial aid determinations are made through a separate application process.

Do you have merit based scholarships?
All of our scholarships are awarded on a combined basis of merit and need. We use the terms "scholarship" and "grant" interchangably.

Tell me about your Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) for those pursuing a career in Public Interest?
Details concerning our Loan Repayment Assistance Program can be found here

[ back to top ]


Do you have any clinical programs?
Yes. Further information regarding our clinical programs can be found on the Bluhm Legal Clinic website.

Do I have to specialize in any one area?
No. However, if you would like to tailor your schedule of classes following your first year we offer the following concentrations: Business Enterprise, Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution, International Law, Appellate Law, Environmental Law, and Law and Social Policy.

What are your study abroad opportunities?
You can learn more about our international opportunities here

[ back to top ]