Bruce A. Markell
Professor of Bankruptcy Law and Practice
Bruce A. Markell was appointed the Professor of Bankruptcy Law and Practice at Northwestern in 2015. From 2013 to 2015, he had been the Jeffrey A. Stoops Professor of Law at Florida State University School of Law. Before that he was a United States Bankruptcy Judge for the District of Nevada, a position he had held since 2004. After law school, he clerked for then-judge Anthony M. Kennedy on the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Before taking the bench, he practiced bankruptcy and business law in Los Angeles for ten years, and was a law professor for fourteen. He is the author of numerous articles on bankruptcy and commercial law, and a co-author of four law school casebooks. He contributes to Collier on Bankruptcy, and is a member of Collier ’s editorial advisory board. He is a conferee of the National Bankruptcy Conference, a fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy (where he is currently the Scholar in Residence), a charter member of the International Insolvency Institute, and a member of the American Law Institute. He is a founding member of the NITA-trained faculty of the Advanced Consumer Bankruptcy Practice Institute. He also consults regularly with the International Monetary Fund on insolvency-related issues (having been part of the IMF’s missions to Ireland, Bosnia and Greece), and is currently engaged in redrafting Kosovo’s bankruptcy law.
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Law
- Secured Transactions
- Comparative Bankruptcy Systems
- Cross-Border Aspects of Bankruptcy
- CONTRACTS: MAKING AND DOING DEALS, 4th ed. (West Academic Group, 2014) (with David G. Epstein and Lawrence Ponoroff).
- BANKRUPTCY: 21ST CENTURY DEBTOR-CREDITOR LAW (INCLUDING BAPCPA), 4th ed. (West Group, forthcoming 2015) (with David G. Epstein, Steve Nickles and Larry Ponoroff).
- TRANSNATIONAL COOPERATION IN BANKRUPTCY AND INSOLVENCY MATTERS (Oxford University Press, 2009) (with Professors Bob Wessels and Jason Kilborn).
- The Sub Rosa Subchapter: Individual Debtors in Chapter 11 After BAPCPA in 2007 illinois law review 67.
- Bewitched By Language: Wittgenstein and the Practice of Law in 32 pepperdine law review 801 (2005).
- BA, Pitzer College
- JD, University of California, Davis
- Visiting Professor of Law, Northwestern University School of Law
- Jeffrey A. Stoops Professor of Law, Florida State College of Law
- United States Bankruptcy Judge, District of Nevada
- Doris S. and Theodore B. Lee Professor of Law, University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Law
- Bruce W. Nichols Visiting Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
- Professor of Law, Indiana University--Bloomington School of Law