George H. Pike
Director, Pritzker Legal Research Center
George H. Pike is the Director of the Pritzker Legal Research Center and Senior Lecturer at the Northwestern University School of Law. He teaches legal research, privacy and copyright courses at the School of Law, and is a frequent lecturer on issues of First Amendment, copyright, and Internet law for library professionals. He is also a regular columnist for Information Today, publishing a monthly column on legal issues confronting information producers and consumers. Previously, Prof. Pike was Director of the Law Library at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Associate Law Librarian at Lewis & Clark Law School in Portland, OR, Reference Librarian at the University of Idaho School of Law, and was a practicing attorney in Idaho Falls, Idaho. Prof Pike received his B.A. degree from the College of Idaho, his law degree from the University of Idaho, and his Masters in Library Science from the University of Washington. He is a member of the American and Idaho State Bar Associations, the American Association of Law Libraries, and the American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association.
Areas of Expertise
- Legal Research
- Copyright Law
- Privacy Law
- Library Management and Policy Development
- Electronic Legal Research in Fundamentals of Legal Research, 11th Ed. (Barkin and Bintliff, Forthcoming, summer 2014).
- From Chaos, Come Answers to Legal Questions in 31 information today 1 (January 2014).
- Google’s Fair Use Defense Prevails in Google Books Lawsuit (November 19, 2013).
- Getting SLAPPed: Defamation and Your Blog in online searcher 12 (May/June 2013).
- Kirtsaeng’s Impact Still to be Felt in 30 information today 1 (May 2013).
- Find it Fast and Free on the Internet: Advanced Internet Strategies for the Pennsylvania Legal Professionals in National Business Institute (2004, updated 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012) (with Kyle B. Fleming, Frank G.Salpietro and Shunk).
- BA, The College of Idaho
- JD, University of Idaho
- Master of Librarianship, Certificate in Law Librarianship, University of Washington
- Director of the Law Library and Assistant Professor of Law, 1994-2013, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Deputy Director of the Law Library, 1991-1994, Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College
- Assistant Law Librarian/Reference and Computer Services, 1988-1991, Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College