James B. Speta
Class of 1940 Research Professor of Law
Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and International Initiatives
Director of Executive LLM Programs
Phone: (312) 503-8470
SSRN Author Page
| Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Jim Speta has been a member of the faculty since 1999. His research interests include telecommunications and Internet policy, antitrust, administrative law, and market organization. He teaches in the Law School and in the Joint Program in Law and Business operated by the Law School and the Kellogg School. A 1991 graduate of the University of Michigan Law School, Speta joined the Northwestern faculty following a one-year visit. He had previously clerked for Judge Harry T. Edwards on the United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit and practiced appellate, telecommunications, and antitrust law with the Chicago firm of Sidley & Austin.
Areas of Expertise
- Antitrust Law
- Administrative Law
- Business Associations
View additional publications
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS LAW AND POLICY, 3d ed. (Carolina Academic Press, 2012) (with S. Benjamin, H. Shelanski, and P. Weiser).
- Supervising Managed Services in 60 duke law journal 1715-1759 (2011).
- The Shaky Foundations of the Regulated Internet in 8 journal on telecommunications & high technology law 101-134 (2010).
- Deregulating Telecommunications in Internet Time in 61 washington and lee law review 1063-1157 (2004).
- Antitrust and Local Competition Under the Telecommunications Act in 71 antitrust law journal 99-145 (2003).
- Competitive Neutrality in Right of Way Regulation: A Case Study in the Consequences of Convergence in 35 connecticut law review 763-815 (2003).
- A Common Carrier Approach to Internet Interconnection in 54 federal communications law journal 225-279 (2002).
- Handicapping the Race for the Last Mile?: A Critique of Open Access Rules for Broadband Platforms in 17 yale journal on regulation 39-91 (2000).
- BA, University of Michigan
- JD, University of Michigan
Professor of Law, Northwestern University School of Law
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs: Executive Degree Programs, Northwestern University School of Law
Assistant Professor, Aug. 1999-Aug. 2002, Northwestern University School of Law
Visiting Assistant Professor, Northwestern University School of Law
Visiting Assistant Professor, Aug. 1992-May 1993, University of Michigan Law School
Recent Consulting Activities
- Consultant, Eimer Stahl Klevorn & Solberg, LLP