Visiting Professor of Law
A graduate of the Sorbonne and Oxford, where he studied as a Rhodes Scholar, Professor Pierre Legrand teaches at the Sorbonne whose postgraduate programme on globalization and legal pluralism he has long been directing. In addition, Professor Legrand offers a course in comparative law every autumn as Distinguished Visiting Professor of Law at the University of San Diego Law School and lectures every summer on the University of Cambridge’s programme in English Legal Methods. For many years, Professor Legrand gave the seminar in comparative law on the University of Melbourne Law School’s postgraduate programme while teaching comparative law repeatedly for undergraduates in Romania and Brazil. He has recently held formal visiting professorships at the University of Toronto, the China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing, the University of Copenhagen, the Georgetown University Law Center, and the National University of Singapore. Professor Legrand publishes in English and French, his work being regularly translated in various languages. Professor Legrand is preparing Negative Comparative Law for Routledge, a critical conspectus on salient theoretical issues arising from research into foreign law and comparative interventions in a globalized world.
Areas of Expertise
- Comparative Law
- European Legal Cultures
- Law & Globalization
- European Legal Theory
- Le Droit comparé, 5th ed. (Presses Universitaires de France, 2015).
- Foreign Law: Understanding Understanding in 6 journal of comparative law 67-177 (2011).
- Siting Foreign Law: How Derrida Can Help in 21 duke journal of comparative and international law 595-629 (2011).
- On the Singularity of Law in 47 harvard international law journal 517-530 (2006).
- Issues in the Translatability of Law in Nation, Language, and the Ethics of Translation 30-50 (Princeton University Press, 2005).
- The Same and the Different in Comparative Legal Studies: Traditions and Transitions 240-311 (Cambridge University Press, 2003).
- PhD, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne
- PhD, Lancaster University
- MLitt, University of Oxford
- DEA, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne
- LLB, McGill University, Canada
- BCL, McGill University, Canada
- Professor of Law, 2000, Ecole de droit de la Sorbonne, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne