Professor of Global Law and Practice
Faculty Director, Executive LLM Chicago
Carole Silver is Professor of Global Law & Practice at Northwestern University Law School, where she also serves as Faculty Director of the Executive LLM program in Chicago. Her scholarship investigates the influence of globalization on the work and structure of law firms, on legal education and on regulation of the profession. She teaches courses on business associations, globalization and the legal profession and professional responsibility.
Silver was Professor of Law at Indiana University, Maurer School of Law from 2010-2013; at the same time, she was Director of the Law School Survey of Student Engagement, which surveys law students in the United States, Canada and Australia about their educational experiences, behaviors and attitudes towards law school. Before joining Indiana, she was Executive Director of the Center for the Study of the Legal Profession and Visiting Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center, and Senior Lecturer at Northwestern University Law School. Earlier, she practiced corporate and securities law at Sidley & Austin, and clerked for Judge Jesse Eschbach of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Professor Silver served as a member of the ABA’s Ethics 20/20 Commission from 2009 – 2013, a group created by the ABA President to study the influence of globalization and technology on lawyer regulation.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Associations
- Legal Profession
- Legal Education
- Global legal profession and legal education
- Learning From and About the Numbers in 5 journal of law: a periodical laboratory of legal scholarship 53 (2015) (with Louis Rocconi).
- What Firms Want: Investigating Globalization’s Influence on the Market for Lawyers in Korea in 28 columbia journal of asian law 1 (2014).
- Getting real about globalization and legal education: potential and perspectives for the U.S. in 24 stanford law & policy review 457 (2013).
- Gender and Global Lawyering: Where are the Women? in 20 indiana journal of global legal studies 1139 (2013) (with Steven Boutcher).
- States Side Story: ‘I like to be in America:’ Career Paths of International LLM Students in 80 fordham law review 2383 (2012).
- BA with high honors in History, University of Michigan
- JD summa cum laude, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Professor of Law, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Director, Law School Survey of Student Engagement
- Executive Director, Center for the Study of the Legal Profession, Visiting Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center
- Senior Lecturer, Northwestern University School of Law
- Associate, Sidley Austin
- Law Clerk, Hon. Jesse Eschbach, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit