Cynthia A. Wilson
Cindy Wilson is a Clinical Professor of Law and Director of the Center for Externships at the Bluhm Legal Clinic. Her teaching and research interests include experiential learning, ethics, and public interest law. She teaches Practicum externship seminars focusing on the federal judiciary and on public interest law. She also teaches a class on medical-legal partnerships and legal issues facing children with health problems, as well as a course in legal ethics taught by clinical professors and Chicago area lawyers. Professor Wilson received the Dean’s Teaching Award in 2010. She also counsels students interested in public interest law, helps direct public interest programming at the law school, and serves as the faculty advisor to several student public interest groups. In 2012 the Chicago Bar Foundation awarded Professor Wilson the Leonard J. Schrager Award of Excellence, which recognizes an exemplary attorney in academia who has made significant and lasting contributions to improving access to justice for the less fortunate.
From 1990 to 2000, Professor Wilson was the Project Director of the Employment Opportunity Project at the Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. She was responsible for directing the work of the Chicago Lawyers’ Committee in the area of employment discrimination, where she litigated a variety of class action and impact cases. Professor Wilson also was a litigation associate at Sachnoff and Weaver and a law clerk to the Honorable Seymour F. Simon of the Illinois Supreme Court. Professor Wilson received her JD, cum laude, Order of the Coif, from Northwestern University School of Law in 1986, and her BA, magna cum laude, from Knox College in 1982.
Areas of Expertise
- Public Interest Law
- Professional Responsibility
- Externships in Guide to Public Service Experiential Learning Programs in Legal Education (Consortium for the Advancement of Public Service in Law Schools, 2011).
- Hiring in Employment Discrimination Law, 2002 Cumulative Supplement (BNA Books, 2002) (with Charles H. Mishkind).
- Disparate Treatment, chapter co-chair, in Employment Discrimination Law, 3d Ed., 2000 Cumulative Supplement (BNA: ABA Section of Employment and Labor Law, 2000).
- Representing Victims of Hate Crimes in 7 civil rights litigation and attorney fees handbook 231 (1991) (with Gzesh and Shuman-Moore).
- BA magna cum laude, Knox College
- JD cum laude, Northwestern University
- Clinical Associate Professor of Law, 2000-2013, Northwestern University School of Law
- Director, 1990-2000, Employment Opportunity Project, Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Associate, 1986-1987, 1988-2000, Sachnoff & Weaver
- Law Clerk, 1987-1988, Honorable Seymour F. Simon, Illinois Supreme Court