Benjamin Mazur Summer Research Professor of Law
BiographyKatherine Litvak's areas of expertise include venture capital, private equity, corporate and securities law, and corporate finance. She has previously served as an assistant professor at the University of Texas School of Law, a clerk for both the Hon. Ralph K. Winter of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the Hon. Frank H. Easterbrook of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, as well as a John M. Olin Fellow in Law and Economics at Columbia Law School. She has presented at more than 50 national and international conferences, workshops, and seminars. Litvak received her BA from the University of California-Los Angeles, an MA in international relations from Harvard, her JD from Stanford Law School.
Areas of Expertise
- Securities & Finance
- The Impact of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act on Non-U.S. Companies Cross-Listed in the U.S. in 13 journal of corporate finance 195-228 (2007).
- Venture Capital Partnership Agreements: Understanding Compensation Arrangements in 76 university of chicago law review 161-218 (2009).
- Governing by Exit: Default Penalties and Walkaway Options in Venture Capital Partnership Agreements in 40 willamette law review 771-812 (2004).
- Does Reputation Limit Opportunistic Behavior in the VC Industry? Evidence from Litigation against VCs in 67 journal of finance 2215-2246 (2012).
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles
- MA, Harvard University
- JD, Stanford Law School
- Professor of Law, Northwestern University School of Law