Leonard L. Riskin
Harris H. Agnew Visiting Professor of Dispute Resolution
Leonard L. Riskin was appointed the Harris H. Agnew Visiting Professor of Dispute Resolution at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law in 2015, where he has been a visiting professor since 2010. He also has been the Chesterfield Smith Professor of Law at the University of Florida College of Law since 2007. He previously served as Director of the Center for the Study of Dispute Resolution and Isidor Loeb Professor of Law at the University of Missouri-Columbia. He teaches and writes about mediation, negotiation, and alternative dispute resolution, and has led a major project to integrate dispute resolution into standard law school classes. He also works at integration of mindfulness into the education of lawyers and other dispute resolution professionals. Professor Riskin has published several books and numerous articles in scholarly journals, as well as essays in popular publications; has led training workshops around the world; and has won numerous awards for his work, including the Award for Outstanding Scholarship from the ABA Section of Dispute Resolution in 2013
Areas of Expertise
- Mindfulness and Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Mindfulness in the Heat of Conflict: Taking Stock in 20 harvard negotiation law review 121 (2015).
- Managing Inner and Outer Conflict: Selves, Subpersonalities, and Internal Family Systems in 18 harvard negotiation law review 1-69 (2013).
- Awareness and the Legal Profession: An Introduction to the Mindful Lawyer Symposium in 61 journal of legal education 634-640 (2012).
- Annual Saltman Lecture: Further Beyond Reason: Emotions, the Core Concerns, and Mindfulness in Negotiation in 10 nevada law journal 289 (2010).
- DISPUTE RESOLUTION & LAWYERS, 4th ed. (Westgroup, 2009) (with James E. Westbrook, Chris Guthrie, Richard Reuben, Jennifer Robbennolt & Nancy A. Welsh).
- Is That All There Is?: “The Problem” in Court-Oriented Mediation in 15 george mason law review 863-932 (2008) (with Nancy A. Welsh).
- BS, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- JD, New York University
- LLM, Yale University
- Visiting Professor, fall semesters 2010 and 2011, Northwestern University School of Law
- Chesterfield Smith Professor of Law, 2007-present, University of Florida, Levin College of Law
- Professor, June 1984-December 2006, University of Missouri School of Law
- C.A. Leedy Professor, beginning September 1991, University of Missouri School of Law
- Isidor Loeb Professor, beginning July 2003, University of Missouri School of Law
- Director, June 1984-Dec 2002, July 2004-May 2006, Center for the Study of Dispute Resolution
- Visiting Professor, Winter 2003, University of Michigan Law School
- Visiting Professor (Charles Inglis Thomson Guest Professor of Law), Summers 1995, 1998, University of Colorado School of Law
- Visiting Professor, Spring 1983, University of Tennessee College of Law
- Visiting Professor, Summers 1984-94, 1996-97, Vermont Law School
- Visiting Professor, Summers 1993,1995, and for short courses in other years, Pepperdine Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Professor of Law, 1979-1984, University of Houston Law Center
- Associate, 1976-1979, University of Houston Law Center
- Assistant, 1974-1976, University of Houston Law Center
- General Counsel, 1968-1973, National Alliance of Businessmen, Inc. (now National Alliance of Business), Washington, D.C.
- Personnel Director, 1968, National Alliance of Businessmen, Inc. (now National Alliance of Business), Washington, D.C.
- Attorney (Attorney General's Honor Recruit Program), 1967-1968, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., Land and Natural Resources Division, General Litigation Section