Leonard L. Riskin
Visiting Professor of Law
Phone: (312) 503-1847
SSRN Author Page
| Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Leonard L. Riskin is Chesterfield Smith Professor of Law at the University of Florida College of Law and has been a Visiting Professor at Northwestern School of Law in the fall of 2010, 2011, and 2012. He previously served as Director of the Center for the Study of Dispute Resolution and Isidor Loeb Professor of Law at the University of Missouri-Columbia. He teaches and writes about mediation, negotiation, and alternative dispute resolution, and has led a major project to integrate dispute resolution into standard law school classes. He also works at integration of mindfulness into the education of lawyers and other dispute resolution professionals.
Areas of Expertise
- Mindfulness and Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
View Additional publications
- Decision-Making in Mediation: The New Old Grid and the New New Grid System in 79 notre dame law review 1-53 (2003).
- DISPUTE RESOLUTION & LAWYERS, 4th ed. (Westgroup, 2009) (with James E. Westbrook, Chris Guthrie, Richard Reuben, Jennifer Robbennolt & Nancy A. Welsh).
- Is That All There Is?: “The Problem” in Court-Oriented Mediation in 15 george mason law review 863-932 (2008). (with Nancy A. Welsh)
- Mediator Orientations, Strategies, and Techniques: A Grid for the Perplexed in 1 harvard negotiation law review 7-51 (1996).
- The Contemplative Lawyer: On the Potential Contributions of Mindfulness Meditation to Law Students, Lawyers, and their Clients in 7 harvard negotiation law review 1-66 (2002).
- Annual Saltman Lecture: Further Beyond Reason: Emotions, the Core Concerns, and Mindfulness in Negotiation in 10 nevada law journal 289 (2010).
- Awareness and the Legal Profession: An Introduction to the Mindful Lawyer Symposium in 61 journal of legal education 634-640 (2012).
- BS, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- JD, New York University
- LLM, Yale University
Chesterfield Smith Professor of Law, 2007-present, University of Florida, Levin College of Law
Professor, June 1984-December 2006, University of Missouri School of Law
C.A. Leedy Professor, beginning September 1991, University of Missouri School of Law
Isidor Loeb Professor, beginning July 2003, University of Missouri School of Law
Director, June 1984-Dec 2002, July 2004-May 2006, Center for the Study of Dispute Resolution
Visiting Professor, Winter 2003, University of Michigan Law School
Visiting Professor (Charles Inglis Thomson Guest Professor of Law), Summers 1995, 1998, University of Colorado School of Law
Visiting Professor, Spring 1983, University of Tennessee College of Law
Visiting Professor, Summers 1984-94, 1996-97, Vermont Law School
Visiting Professor, Summers 1993,1995, and for short courses in other years, Pepperdine Institute for Dispute Resolution
Professor of Law, 1979-1984, University of Houston Law Center
Associate, 1976-1979, University of Houston Law Center
Assistant, 1974-1976, University of Houston Law Center
General Counsel, 1968-1973, National Alliance of Businessmen, Inc. (now National Alliance of Business), Washington, D.C.
Personnel Director, 1968, National Alliance of Businessmen, Inc. (now National Alliance of Business), Washington, D.C.
Attorney (Attorney General's Honor Recruit Program), 1967-1968, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., Land and Natural Resources Division, General Litigation Section
Visiting Professor, fall semesters 2010 and 2011, Northwestern School of Law