Max M. Schanzenbach
Max Schanzenbach is the Seigle Family Professor of Law. He joined the Northwestern faculty in 2003 as an Assistant Professor of Law. He was previously the Benjamin Mazur Professor of Law. In the Spring of 2008, he was the Bruce W. Nichols Visiting Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He received his JD from Yale Law School and his PhD (economics) from Yale. Schanzenbach's research is primarily empirical and has ranged across such fields as trusts and estates, criminal sentencing, public sector employment, and tort reform's impact on healthcare markets. His work has appeared in leading law reviews, such as the Yale Law Journal and the University of Chicago Law Review, as well as law and economics journals, such as the Journal of Legal Studies, the Journal of Law and Economics, and the Journal of Law, Economics, & Organization. He has been co-editor in chief of the American Law and Economics Review since 2012.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Associations
- Criminal Justice
- Estates and Trusts
- Tort Reform
- Explaining the Public-Sector Pay Gap: The Role of Skill and College Major in 9 journal of human capital 1 (2015).
- The Impact of Tort Reform on Intensity of Treatment: Evidence from Heart Patients in 39 journal of health economics 273 (2015) (with Ronen Avraham).
- Racial Disparities Under the Federal Sentencing Guidelines: The Role of Judicial Discretion and Mandatory Minimums in 9 journal of empirical legal studies 729-764 (2012) (with Joshua B. Fischman).
- The Impact of Tort Reform on Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance Premiums in 28 journal of law, economics, & organization 657-686 (2012) (also available as NBER Working Paper no. 15371) (with Ronen Avraham and Leemore S. Dafny).
- Do Standards of Review Matter? The Case of Federal Criminal Sentencing in 40 journal of legal studies 405-437 (2011) (with Joshua B. Fischman).
- The Impact of Tort Reform on Private Health Insurance Coverage in 12 american law and economics review 319-355 (2010) (with Ronen Avraham).
- BA, University of Oklahoma
- JD, Yale University
- PhD, Yale University
- Professor of Law, Northwestern University School of Law
- Director of the Searle Center on Law, Regulation, and Economic Growth, Northwestern University School of Law
- Law Clerk, 2002-2003, Hon. Alan E. Norris of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit