Stephen F. Reed
Steve Reed is a Clinical Professor of Law, the Assistant Director of the Entrepreneurship Law Center, and Co-Director of the JD-MBA Program at Northwestern University School of Law. In the clinical program of the Entrepreneurship Law Center, Reed works with students to represent start-ups, more mature companies and social entrepreneurs in a variety of transactional matters. In the classroom, he teaches Business Associations, Advanced Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions, and co-teaches Entrepreneurship Law. Reed also co-teaches Law and the Entrepreneur, a Massive Open Online Course offered by Northwestern University and Coursera that attracted over 35,000 students worldwide in its first session.
Prior to joining Northwestern, Reed was an attorney at Proskauer Rose LLP in Los Angeles, where he worked with public, private, and non-profit companies of varying sizes on a variety of legal issues, including contracts, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital transactions, and licensing. Reed graduated Cum Laude from Princeton University and received his JD from Columbia Law School. Reed is co-author of Entrepreneurship Law: Cases and Materials, the leading law school casebook on legal issues that affect entrepreneurs. He has won the Dean's Teaching Award and the Outstanding Professor of a Small Class Award at Northwestern Law. Reed is a member of the California bar and the Illinois bar, and is a proud Canadian.
Areas of Expertise
- Clinical Teaching
- Business Associations
- Entrepreneurship Law: Cases and Materials (Aspen Publishers, 2013) (with Esther S. Barron).
- The Lively Classroom: Finding the Humor in Business Associations in 59 saint louis university law journal 735 (2015).
- A Closer Look at Distance Learning: The Law and the Entrepreneur MOOC in 19 lewis & clark law review 395 (2015) (with Esther Barron).
- Clinical Legal Education at a Generational Crossroads: A Self-Focused Self-Study of Self in 17 clinical law review 243-254 (2010).
- AB cum laude, Princeton University
- JD, Columbia University
- Clinical Associate Professor of Law, Northwestern University School of Law
- Attorney, Proskauer Rose LLP