Frequently Asked Questions


New Student Information

What does Student Services do, where is it located, and what are the hours?
The Office of Student Services provides academic support, works with student organizations, plans programs and events, coordinates health and wellness programs, and serves as a resource and sounding board for students as they navigate their way through the Law School. Students should utilize this office when they have questions about anything related to the Law School or the University.  No question is too big or too small, we are here for you and will direct you to the right resource. International Programs is also housed within Student Services.  The location, hours of service, and meeting links are the same. 

Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 
Location: McCormick Hall, Rm 166  
Phone: 312-503-0785 
Office Email: 
Meetings: Visit to set up a time to meet or stop by the Student Services Suite any time. 

How can I get a replacement Wildcard?
Visit the Wildcard Office located at 345 E. Superior Street, 15th Floor.  Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. If your card is lost or stolen, notify the Wildcard Office immediately. A replacement card costs $25. If your card is damaged, bring the damaged card along with you to avoid the $25 replacement fee.

How can I get a Ventra card?  
Full-time first year students are provided with a Ventra card upon entering Law School. You will be able to pick up your card from Student Services in late August (look out for an email from Student Services). Ventra Cards provide students with free CTA transportation while school is in session. Ventra cards are valid for five years, and automatically reactivate when your next full-time school term begins. You can add transit value or full fare passes to the Ventra card when school is not in session. If your Ventra U-Pass card is lost, stolen or damaged, you may request a new card through the Student Services Office, McCormick Hall, Rm 166. You must present your Student ID and your student account will be charged a $50 non-refundable replacement fee.

How do I obtain a locker in the library / Levy Mayer lower level?
Library lockers are assigned by the library and can be requested from the Circulation Desk.  New students are assigned lockers during orientation.  All lockers are shared with another person and are located in the basement of Levy Mayer.  For those who enrolled later or may have transferred, please contact Student Services. Levy Mayer Locker Maps

What events are coming up today/this week/this month?
You can find weekly and monthly events listed in the Law School Event Calendar, but please note that events are added and changed regularly.

Where is [insert Staff, Department, or Faculty name here] located and how do I get there?  
Visit the online Law School Directory at

Where is the lost and found?
The lost and found is located in the library at the circulation desk. There is also a lost and found in the Administrative Services Suite on the Mezzanine level, LM 88 (door leading to this department is located in the McCormick lobby.

back to top

Accomodations, Health, and Wellness

How can I get accommodations for my classes?
Visit AccessibleNU’s website at and submit an online application. Once you submit an application, your information will be reviewed and an AccessibleNU staff member will reach out to you for an appointment. If you think you need an accommodation, don’t wait! Submit an application as soon as possible.  

Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Location: Abbott Hall, 710 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 500
Phone: 312.503.4042
Email: Aggie McGrane,
Office Email:

How do I make an appointment at the Counseling and Psychological Services Office (CAPS)?
Students are encouraged to reach out to CAPS for mental health counseling and psychological services; in particular, CAPS can assist with any of the following:

  • Anxiety, fears, worries
  • Stress regarding schoolwork or grades
  • Procrastination
  • Depression
  • Perfectionism
  • Imposter Syndrome
  • Feeling overwhelmed
  • Eating concerns
  • Substance abuse
  • Career indecision
  • Social pressures
  • How to navigate difficulty adjusting to law school
  • How to connect to mental health services at CAPS or with community providers 

Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Location: Abbott Hall, 710 N. Lake Shore Dr., Ste. 500
​Phone: 847.491.2151 or use the CAPS online scheduling service

*To meet with the Law School Staff Therapist, Ida Samuel-Clay, call CAPS and specifically schedule an appointment with her.  

After-Hours On-Call Service

Call 847.491.2151 and follow the prompts to speak with a crisis counselor 24 hours a day.

Who should I contact with questions about my health insurance coverage?

You should contact the Student Health Insurance Office. Students outside of the Chicago/Evanston area who will need to access services should be sure to double-check the policy requirements before seeking services.   
Phone: 847-491-3621 
For information on Aetna providers, please visit this link.   

Who should I contact with questions about student health services?
Visit to learn more about access to care and to schedule an appointment.

Primary healthcare services are provided by Northwestern Medicine by the department of General Internal Medicine while students are enrolled in a professional program. They are here to serve your preventive healthcare needs and to help you if you have an illness or injury. 

Appointments are available: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Tuesday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Location: 675 North St. Clair, Ste. 18
Phone: 312.695.8134

Student Health Physician On-Call

If you are experiencing a physical illness or injury outside business hours, call 312.695.8134 to speak to a physician.

The Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care Centers are open every day, including holidays from 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. 

back to top

Class, Exam, and Study Information

How and when should I contact the Registrar?
Visit the website of the Office of the Registrar or contact the office with questions about course bidding and registration, course and exam schedules, how to register for Senior Research or Summer Research Internship, academic policies, graduation requirements, degree progress reports, or bar exam applications.  The Office of the Registrar can assist students with an official name change, letters of good standing, and ordering official transcripts.  
Service Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 
*Please note that the Registrar team all works remotely on Fridays 
Location: McCormick Hall, Rm 127 (across the hallway from Student Services) 
Phone: 312.503.8464 

Who can help me pick my classes?
The Curriculum Team provides curricular advising and programming for current Northwestern Law students. If you have questions about your curricular path, which includes choosing courses to support your academic interests and professional goals, you can set an appointment Professor Meredith Rountree, Curriculum Advisor, at If you have questions about graduation requirements, which includes choosing courses to meet outstanding requirements, please contact

*For LLM Curricular Advising, please see below in the International Students section. 

Meredith Rountree, Senior Lecturer & Curriculum Advisor
Phone: 312.503.0227

How do I reserve a study room?
Study rooms are available for reservation for students working in groups of two or more. These rooms are located in the library and Levy Mayer. Please be aware that at certain times of the year the rooms are reserved for moot court competitions or break-out rooms for classes. To book a study room visit 

I have a registration hold in CAESAR. What should I do?
Contact the Office of the Registrar. 

Service Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: McCormick Hall, Rm 127 (across the hallway from Student Services)
Phone: 312.503.8464

When do classes end? When does reading period begin? When do exams start? When do exams end?
You can find most of these dates on the Northwestern Law Academic Calendar. The specific exam time block for each semester is posted on the page for the Northwestern Law Registrar.

I need to print something, where do I go?
You can use your Wildcard to print to various printers on campus. You can use the computer law workstation in the library or submit a print job via the NUPrint Portal. Visit to find out more about printing, and about how to add printing funds to your Wildcard.  

back to top

Student Organizations and Journals

How do I start a student organization?
Reach out to the Student Bar Association (SBA) to communicate your interest in starting a student organization. The SBA will provide you with details about the process, membership requirements (all organizations are required to have at minimum a President, Treasurer, and Event Coordinator), and check to make sure there isn’t already an active organization that is similar. Questions also can be directed to Ernest Perez at

What student organizations are there and how do I join?
Visit for a list of Law School Student Organizations.  You can reach out to leaders directly or contact student services and we will put you in contact with organization leaders.  

Where do I go to find information about the Journals?
Northwestern Law publishes six student-edited journals covering a wide range of subjects. Visit to learn more. Journals students should reach out to Maryann Wou or Jim McMasters with questions.

Jim McMasters, Clinical Associate Professor of Law
Phone: 312.503.2090

back to top

Public Service

Where can I find out more information about the public service program?

The Public Interest Center provides strategic leadership of key public interest activities on campus and promotes a strong public interest culture – one that encourages all students to develop a public service ethic. Among the Center’s features are financial support for students doing public interest work during and after law school; career programming and counseling; a wide range of pro bono and public service opportunities. To find out more information about the law school’s public service program, visit 

Where can I find out more information about the New York Bar’s 50 Hour Pro Bono Requirement?

To find out more information, please click here: 

Where do I find out about volunteer opportunities?
To find volunteer opportunities, please see the Public Interest Center’s List of Pro Bono and Public Service Opportunities and the student organization Student Effort to Rejuvenate Volunteering (SERV) list of opportunities here.  Another good volunteer resource is Chicago Cares,

Where do I log my public service hours?
Students should log their volunteer hours here: 

What type of volunteering counts for public service credit?
To find out more information about what volunteering counts for public service credit, please click here:

back to top

International Students

Who should I contact with questions about my visa or I-20?
All international students are assigned to an advisor in the Office of International Students and Scholar Services based on their last name. OISS advisors are the Designated School Officials (DSOs) at Northwestern. You should contact your OISS advisor for any questions related to your visa status, I-20 or DS-2019, or SEVIS record.

What kind of English language support is available to me?
Please see ESL Services for International Students for details on the services and opportunities available to you. For specific questions or to schedule a private consultation, please contact Nell Novara, Assistant Director of International Student Support, at

How can I complete my required immunizations and TB test, and how much will it cost?
View the information on Northwestern’s immunization requirements. Incoming law students are required to submit proof of immunizations by August 1. International students in need of a TB test and/or a chest X-Ray as determined by the TB self-screening in the Student Immunization Form have 30 days after the start of classes to complete the process without incurring a penalty. 

For additional information, including where to have vaccinations performed, please refer to the Immunization Requirements Frequently Asked Questions. Questions about these requirements should be directed to the Health Information Management Services office at

I am an LLM student. Who can I direct my general questions to?
We encourage you to refer to the LLM Class of 2023 Canvas site, which will be available in the coming weeks and contains helpful resources and information for LLM students. If you cannot find the answer to your question, please contact the International Programs team at

I am an LLM student. Who should I contact for academic or curricular support?
Your ACE advisor is an excellent resource for academic support. You should reach out to your ACE advisors directly and/or attend ACE weekly office hours (the schedule will be posted in Canvas). You are also encouraged to attend the ACE Workshops held during the semester. For curricular support, please refer to the resources available on the LLM Class of 2023 Canvas site, and reach out to Adi Altshuler at if your question is not answered. 

I am an LLM student. Where can I find information about upcoming programs and events?
The LLM Calendar of Events is posted on the LLM Canvas site. 

I am an LLM student, and I have an idea for an upcoming event or program. Who should I talk to?
Please contact a member of the International Programs team or a member of the LLM Committee. 

I am an incoming LLM student. Which state bar exams will I be eligible to sit for?
While many of our graduates successfully take a bar examination at the conclusion of the program, the LLM program is not a bar-preparation course and is not intended to qualify foreign lawyers to practice law in the United States. Although some states – most notably New York—do permit qualified LLM graduates to sit for their bar examinations, many states do not. For more information about bar examination requirements and procedures, you should review the Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements from the National Conference of Bar Examiners and American Bar Association. The ABA website is For more information about the New York bar admission, visit the New York bar website at

I am an LLM student, and I plan to sit for the NY Bar. Where can I find the pre-approved courses?
An updated list of pre-approved courses is available on the LLM Canvas site and on the righthand panel of the International Programs Office website.

back to top

General Questions


What is the STAR Fund and how do I apply for funding?

The Student Assistance and Relief (STAR) Fund is designed to support students in emergent financial need. The STAR Fund provides small emergency grants that bridge the gap for students without a personal financial safety net. Apply to the STAR Fund. Students must have demonstrated financial need in order to be grant-eligible. 

How can I get in contact with University Police in case of an emergency?
In an emergency, you should always dial 911 first. The University Police can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 312.503.3456 or by dialing 456 from any campus phone. You can also report crimes, suspicious activity, or a recent encounter online.

I have an IT question. Where do I go?
The first place you should go it the website available at If you would you like input from a technology expert on your new software/hardware or simply need assistance with a technical issue on your computer, call or email IT. 

Phone: 312.503.7000
Office Email:  
Service Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 

How do I report that a classroom is too warm/cold?
For all facilities related issues or concerns you can submit a Facilities Maintenance Request online. You will have to authenticate using your NetID and password. You may also reach Facilities using the information below. 

Facilities Hotline: 312.503.5753
Location: Levy Mayer, Rm M88
Email: Service Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  

Who can I speak to about an issue with my student account or bill?
For questions regarding typical bursar functions such as the charging of tuition or University fees, as well as billing and payments you can contact or 312.503.8503. 

How can I make sure that I am on all of the appropriate list-servs? I am not sure I am getting the right emails.
Please send an email to Law IT at

Is parking available?

Please visit to learn about parking on the Chicago Campus. 

Are there discounts/benefits for Northwestern Law students, like gym memberships?

There are many discounts and benefits that you can partake in as a Northwestern student. The Wildcard Advantage is a free discount program, offering more than 300 independent businesses who are not affiliated with Northwestern the opportunity to provide and promote deals and discounts to the Northwestern community.  

Northwestern University offers a discounted membership rate to LA Fitness Chicago-Streeterville.  The detailed information and information on how to sign up can be found at Additionally, there is a Chicago Park District Fitness Center, Lake Shore Fitness Center, across the street from the Law School off of Lake Shore Drive and Chicago Ave. Although this facility has not partnered with Northwestern, you can use your Chicago residency to obtain access to that gym. 

back to top